Antibiotics for mono???

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've run into several people over the course of my illness who swear they were diagnosed with Mono and were prescribed antibiotics and/or steroids and got over it in the blink of an eye.

They think I'm crazy for having it for 3 months.

I'm not even remotely considering this for myself, but am wondering if maybe these people were misdiagnosed, or tested positive for EBV but had a separate infection going on.

I have a hard time believing that antibiotics truly got rid of such a vicious viral infection. 

Thoughts?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi phacelia,

i believe antibiotics don't work with viruses, only bacterial infection. I certainly haven't had any for my infection. I wish there was a magic pill but rest and fluids and time is only thing we can do

Caroline x

• Posted

Yeah, I can't imagine dealing with the side effects from antibiotics when there is enough going on in my body as it is! Rest, rest and more rest. I never thought I would get so sick of resting! cry

• Posted

You are right. Antibiotics do not take care of any virus! In US there are two or three approved antiviral meds none are approved for EBV.

Steroids depresses the immune system. It does not cure EBV.

I don't know if they were misdiagnosed or we on the forum have a vicious mutated strain. It is for sure it has taken us all quiet a bit of time to make decent progress.

I know a lady who was sent to a research center with this virus. She was told by the Doctor that most doctors know little about EBV that it is much more than just Mono. That two to three years are normal for recovery. The Doctor also told her that resting and not pushing too hard is very important in helping the body to get virus under control.

Seeing I have been struggling this information was a real help along with Christine's doctor saying a year more for her has helped me to not think this is forever. I also see improvements so have most of us on the forum.

Prayers, Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

I know antibiotics shouldn't work against EBV, I'm just confused that they were prescribed for these people in the first place and that they supposedly worked. 

I wish more doctors were well-versed in the nature of this virus. At least mine didn't recommend antibiotics. rolleyes

• Posted

I have heard of antivirals for this, I was never offered antivirals however. My Dr. said strep can go along with mono. I think some doctors may just think strep or tonsillitis and prescribe antibiotics.
  • Posted

I was prescribed antibiotics and steroids when I got mono a year ago. It did nothing to help the mono as I had it bad for 2.5 months. However it wasn’t given to me for the mono as I developed a abscess in my mouth from the mono. I tested negative for strep. I was admitted into the hospital that day and started on iv antibiotics and steroids immediately. I still have digestive issues from the whole ordeal but I’m hoping once I get my wisdom teeth out I’ll finally start getting back to normal.
    • Posted

That's rough. sad It makes sense getting prescribed antibiotics in your case, for sure. I hope you are on a good probiotic, now. Mono seems to mess up your stomach anyhow, and antibiotics definitely don't help either. I hope you start feeling better soon!

• Posted

I too had severe digestive issues. I take probiotic and my digestive issues are greatly improved. Sorry you have digestive issues. I also took digestive enzymes for a while.

Hopefully you will soon see improvements.

Rhonda

• Posted

Hey Phacelia,

I agree with the guys in that if it is mono that is the problem, antibiotics unfortunately won't work because it's a virus and not bacteria. That doesn't mean to say if maybe a secondary infection is there that maybe antibiotics couldn't perhaps work. Just wish there was an antibiotic that could kill EBV that would be wonderful!

Anyway I don't think you're at all mad Phacelia, I think it's more likely that those who have said they were treated with antibiotics for mono were either misinformed or treated with them for something else, or came across a really bad doctor!!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.