Antibiotics -HELP! When do they kick in?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Having a really bad UTI at the moment, never had anything like this before. Bladder feels full all the time and pressure immense. Blood and pain when passing urine. Throbbing around below regions.  Did not go to Doctors until 4th day in, as thought it may go away. I have been put on Trimethoprim and today I'm half way through taking my 5 day course

Please, please as I'm at my wits end, when will I start to feel better.

when do THEY work!

Can you recommend anything to ease this unbearable discomfort 

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Drink lots of water - as much as possible which helps to flush out the nasty bacteria while you're on the anti-biotic. I was prescribed Trimethoprim  which worked pretty much at the end of the first day. I went to the doctor immediately in the morning that day after the symptoms during the previous night.
    • Posted

Also use D-Mannose as someone suggested above. High strength capsules are available on Amazon.
    • Posted

Thanks iq200, bought some today, take care and thank you
    • Posted

elaine please post in a few weeks time to say you are ok with the cipro. Unfortunately i took a heck of a lot with no warnings and still virtually housebound three and a half years later. The dr is not bovverd.
    • Posted

I now know why you should have the right tools for the job! 

My urinalysis came back and no wonder the others did not work. I have now been put on the correct one and feeling better. I'm also taking the D-Mannose powder which has comforted me.

I really appreciate all advice regarding Ciprofloxacin, and will NOT be prescribed this in the future. I will tell all my friends and family NOT to EVER take this medication 

I will update my progress (if I remember) , until then I wish you well and sincerely in my heart wanting you to make a full recovery.

Take care, all the very best 

Elaine

• Posted

It's so good to hear you're feeling better Elaine

Take care

Plodding on

• Posted

At least you're on safer meds now and they sound to be working :-)
    • Posted

Is bactrim safe to take? he want me on it for 10 days but i am not going to do that.
  • Posted

I'm glad your feeling better 

I advise that you follow yout antibiotic course strictly I used to write on a paper so i take it precisely and even after you are fully treated from this continue for a while more on probiotics and drinking plenty of water plus hygiene and no harm even after you are treated to have one or two urine tests again to make sure no reoccurence

Best wishes

Sara  

• Posted

something else how is the D-Mannose helping in your case ??
    • Posted

Feeling better, but bladder ache still there, not so severe but still uncomfortable ! 

The D-Monnose powder is comforting me, and feels like it's working, giving me some relief.

On probiotics (yoghurt and liquid) and after every bowel movement I now wash with an antibacterial liquid, rather than ordinary shower gel 

Do you know if drinking lemon juice in warm water helps?

Just want to try anything to get better, thanks 

• Posted

regarding lemon juice if you have acid reflux or sensitive stomache i prefer not but if you don't then it's ok I use lemon juice to fight intestinal bacteria and fight bacterial infection overall cos it's natural and it works out just perfect for me 

I don't recommend using antibacterial wash cos it'll kill the good bacteria aswell and cos of the antibiotics this will fasciliatate getting a yeast infection just wash well with water and wipe properly maybe with baby wipes cos they r gentle  u can read online for this and dry well that's the best you can do works out perfect for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.