Antibiotics in lieu of Lancing?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This is my first Cyst. It started tiny a week ago and grew to be the size of a small marble earlier this week. Over the past 3 days the pain has gotten worse. I tried warm compresses and sitz baths but had to go to urgent care tonight.

They said it was an abcess and offered 2 courses of treatment: lancing and draining or antibiotics. I chose antibiotics because I'm going tubing in a river in 2 days.

But now I can't find anyone else who made that choice and had it work. Do the antibiotics work? Do they make the swelling go down? How long should it take?

And if it DOES burst I probably shouldn't swim right? Ugh. Worst birthday ever.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have never had any luck with antibiotics getting rid of the cyst. Lancing and draining are the only thing that has worked for me but even then it comes back shortly after. The one I have had currently is the size of a gulf ball but isn't painful, and has been there pretty much since it was drained last August.

I wouldn't recommend getting in dirty water if lanced or if it ruptures on its own because of infection risk.

• Posted

When I had mine ultimately surgically removed, the one OR nurse told me antibiotics worked on hers, but it was about the size of a pea. Maybe try putting ice on it, as that can help reduce the inflammation- it's what my obgyn had me do.

• Posted

Although it's not a permanent solution, antibiotics worked for me. It just ended up coming back a couple weeks after the antibiotics were finished. It should hold you over for your birthday celebrations, but you will need to have it handled with surgery next time.

Happy birthday!

• Posted

Antibiotics only worked two times for me, but very slowly, the fastest way is going to your doctor and get it drained. You will feel new imediatly, but going to swim? You should keep your area clean after the lancing I think.

Stay positive, you will have lots of BD to celebrate. I had BC in Thanksgiving, Christmas, new year, memorial day, and 2 times in my BD, aND alo happendix on weekends, im very lucky... lol.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I've had the best sucess with lancing, draining and antiobiotics. Power Combo.

If the antibiotics are working, the swelling will go down as the infection dipletes. 

It might take upwards of two weeks for the cyst to completely diminish though, with soley antibiotics.

• Posted

I received antibiotics after my cyst became infected and grew to the size of a golf ball. After a few days of 3-5 sitz baths for 15-20 min, warm compresses, and tea tree oil mixed with witch hazel, my cyst finally started shrinking.

It's been about a month since I saw the doctor for my cyst, and while my vagina is not completely back to normal, it no longer hurts, and there is no visible cyst. I now am only doing 1-2 sitz baths per week just for maintenance.

I really hope you did not go tubing, as you want to keep yourself as clean as possible to avoid infection.

Also, cold water is not good for the cyst. Heat is your friend when getting rid of a cyst, as it will encourage the duct to relax, open, and drain on its own. It's best to let your body heal itself if possible. If not, definitely follow up with your doctor.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.