Antibiotics not working. Swab come back negative. Is it BV?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been suffering with what I think is BV for a few years now. When I first noticed the strong fishy smell I went to the doctors, had swabs done and they told me it came back positive for BV. They put me on antibiotics (metronidazole, twice a day for a week). All the symptoms went, but returned not long after I finished the course of antibiotics. I was then prescribed the metronidazole gel, with the same outcome as above. I went back to the doctors who done more swabs and then tested negative for BV and was dismissed by my doctor!

Fast forward a couple of years and Ive since tried to manage it at home with over the counter Balance Activ gel and hydrogen peroxide. Both work while I'm using it, but come back after a couple of days. I went back to the doctors recently and was prescribed another course of metronidazole (same dose as above) without having anymore swabs done, after 2 days my symptoms went. But 3 days after completing the course, my symptoms have come back again!!

Is it possible that this isn't BV? Can BV sometimes fail to show up on swabs? If I haven't got BV, why does BV treatment work initially?

I am single and haven't had sex in nearly a year, so I know its not that. Any help would be appreciated. I'm at my wits end.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

what are your exact symptoms? feel free to message me if you want. im dealing with same thing for over a year now, originally diagnosed w BV, the medications originally worked but as soon as i had sex symptoms came back. i continue to test negative for BV and the medications no longer work. i suffer from excessive watery discharge that has no odor but completely soaks my underwear, i have to wear pads and tampons 24/7

• Posted

Sorry you are having to deal with BV. It sucks! I have tried many home remedies. Believe it or not, it is fresh squeezed lemons that actually work for me. They are very acidic and balance your pH. I drink lemonade using a low calorie sweetner in the blue packets. I drink everyday or every other day or only when my husband and I have sex. I have not had anymore issues to date. I was taking a probiotic but I am terrible at taking pills consistently.

GOOD LUCK!!!

• Posted

yes u can get false negatives on a swab as the bacteria dosnt live long outside the body so it dies before leaving the lab ask your doctor for clindamycin vaginal cream

• Posted

I douched with plain water in a cup about 12 ounces. I put a drop or 2 of standard bleach layed down on the floor and poured it in and I stayed that way with legs up in the air for 2 minutes. People take bleach baths all the time and the water goes everywhere. Now this is what helped me. I did this for 2 nights skipped a night then did it again. I read somewhere where someone did the exact thing. I'm not saying do this what I am saying is it worked for me.

• Posted

Thank you for your replies. My symptoms are a strong fishy odour and watery discharge. Sometimes even straight after a shower it's still there and it's so strong it will seep through my clothes! I've tried washing with various feminine hygiene products, baby soap and even just plain water under my doctors advice. I'm hoping to make another appointment with my doctor today and will mention clindamycin cream. It's such a nightmare, I just want to feel normal again!!

• Posted

hi you're on the same path as me totally.

I went the gum clinic and they tested with a ph test and they showed me the results I was good and I tried explaining that I had got bv and the nurses who examined me said they couldn't smell bv .

I've tried everything from 3 sets of antibiotics and the cream you're asking for failed me .

I don't know what to do .

I'm ok all day no bv smell at all but over night seems different every morning i wake i go to the toilet I'm slightly wet and it smells not good but it's not as bad as before but it's still present i know it is because when I use bv pessary from balance active rage ( gel version dont touch it)I feel so clean even during night .

so I'm as confused as you .

i haven't had sex in 3 years.

the only way I can keep ontop of it is to use a balance active pessary once a week or boric acid what ever I decide to use .

but 4 days later the same thing happens I can smell I'm not right again.

I've just brought tea tree suppositories and apple cider vinegar just to hopefully stop the smell during the night .

I dont know if you do this but I use my finger to smell inside my tunnel and it's always fresh no smell .

but my knickers smell not good I'm convinced boric acid has helped me and the pessarys I mentioned because before I tried these I smelt like the sewers my pads turned brown and the smell would come through anything my bed covers by jeans etc .

I dont know what else to do but live with it as long as i can you boric acid or pessary i can feel fresh to be round people before that i never left my home because of it .

i dont know what to do if i did get a partner.

I'm in a better position the last 3 months than years before .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.