Anticoagulants

Posted , 7 users are following.

I would like to here from people who decided not to take anticoagulants and why. Most of the forums I have read seem to say that anticoagulants are a must if you are female and 65. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am aged 64 and on Eliquis for life.  My first clot was at age 17 following a car accident and surgery. It was a DVT in my groin. (Little was known about clots then and my treatment was very different).  My 2nd clot at age 64 was 6 months ago and  was class as unprovoked it was the same leg but from groin to ankle and then travelled to both lungs. If it had been my first clot I would have been on Eliquis for only 3 months but due to my history they recommended I take it for life.  I was and still are a active person. I will be interested to see what replies you get but think it all down to reasons and risks.
  • Posted

I have been on since pe three years ago.

i would like to try to do without but they wont let me.

i have no other symptoms but i think anticoag is making me fatigued.

i am same age as you.  I wonder what would happen if i just said no, im not taking them anymore 

• Posted

Never heard that before. You really don't want to be taking them just for the sake of it...the side effects (especially if you don't need them) are pretty horrible.

• Posted

The thought of a stroke keeps me taking an anticoagulant...with a dodgy heart it seems unthinkable not to!  I'm 67 with a higher level of risk: Diabetes type 2, overweight but loosing it, and heart iregularities. I no longer take warfarin but Dabigatran, much preferable as the INR levels stay level!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.