Antidepressant for a sensitive stomach

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi i suffer from depression and cannot tolerate prozac, citalopram, zoloft because they inflame my stomach. Im taking pariet to control reflux and when i tried prozac for a week my stomach became severly inflamed leading to a high dose of pariet for 3 weeks to get it under control again. Is there an antidepressant that doesnt cause stomach inflammation that i could try? thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you can find one I would like to know all of them give you stomach issues.
  • Posted

I don't believe anyone else can answer that for you. I have read a lot about side effects, some I get, some I don't and some people don't have any at all.Unfortunately, I think it's just a matter of trial and error. Too bad they can't figure out the ingredient that is common in the ones causing the problem for you. Have you tried the older class of antidepressants?

• Posted

hi Lisa ive been taking doxepin for 3 days an n stomach issues so far. It does make me feel really tired and out of it all day thgh sad

• Posted

You probably do not need medication for depression if you are finding your stomach is the biggest problem.

Seriously suggest you stop medication and try exercise and a new hobby. Speaking from experience.

• Posted

Hi Ted, ive been sufferng depression for the last 15 years, being on prozac for 10. I seemed to improve a bit but the last few years i havent been enjoying life, i dont find any of my previous hobbies enjoyable anymore. I exercise 6 times a week, either swimming or bike riding as it improves my mood a little bit. I recently turned down a holiday because i couldnt see any enjoyment in it
    • Posted

I am like that too. Not the person I used to be. I knew how to laugh and feel good when I got up in the morning, not any more. No interest in anything, and I have to force a smile when I'm out with friends when underneath I just want to go back home. I used to paint, sew, run, go to the gym, go to concerts, or out for a beer in the evening, but that's history. I think years of antidepressant use has affected my personality, I believe that long term use has lasting negative results as we age. Somehow I have to learn to have fun again and get myself out of this rut and off the meds. This is my view for myself only and not meant to offend anyone or dissuade a person from doing what is right for them at the time. The way Heath benefits are set up in Canada we can't get counselling unless we pay a hefty price or attempt suicide, when everything you read says cognitive behavioural therapy is the best antidote along with medication (for. a short period). There are brand new antidepressants out on the market that have less side effects but our health care system won't pay for them and holding back a treatment from someone who could possibly benefit like yourself is just morally wrong. Sorry for blabbering on. Take care Mike!

• Posted

Hi not sure if you may have tried it but I have lbs so have a very sensitive stomach and am on sertraline. That doesn't seem to make my ibs any worse than it already is.

Hope this may help.

Also maybe mirtazpine or fluoxetine.

• Posted

Okay just realise Prozac and Zoloft are sertraline and fluoxetine. Sorry!
    • Posted

I was on prozac for a long time it was great! increase my energy and made me start enjoying things again, After a severe bout of gastritis i cant tolerate alot of drugs because they infame my stomach
  • Posted

Hi Mike,

I too am sensitive. I was on Aropax for years with Parriet and the last year my stomach was terrible. I had a bowel test as I had blood in my stools but there was nothing there so they went down into my stomach and I had an erroded stomach lining and a bleeding ulsa. Straight up they said, its the Aropax. They changed me to Mirt and everything settled down...Mirt after 6 years is no longer working and I did put on weight so they have now changed me to Lexapro...nondering how long it will be before stomach issues again..    

• Posted

I just started mirtazapine and my stomach is fine!!! feel an improvement after 1 week smile
    • Posted

I have stomach problems, have had to get gallbladder out but no better.   Mirtazapine never gave me any problem with stomach, just tiredness and vivid dreams and obviously weight gain, two stones in six months.  Trying to come off it now.
  • Posted

I have the worst stomach ever! I take Effexor! Have been on it for years now. It is the only one that works for me! It is not as common but easy on my gut!

• Posted

i don't use them! i have tried lots and react to each one! i have tried mindfulness, yoga, relaxation and speaking to a mental health charity too, all good, all have no ingredients in i'm allergic too and help more! try it you may never know.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.