Antidepressant for hormonal migraines?

Posted , 8 users are following.

As if the anxiety, insomnia, depression, constant nausea isnt bad enough i woke up last night in the middle of the night with a horrible headache! All day i have been so sick i cant even eat a bite. Advil seems to take care if the headache but damn i am so sick of this crap!! I thought i was starting to feel better for a couple of days now i have this new hellish symptom. I have been debating on taking the zoloft i was prescribed for all of the other symptoms but i also read that it supposedly helps migraines. I dont want to take zoloft but im not living a life anymore. Every day i wake up i feel awful and would rather not me here anymore....so i figure maybe zoloft will at least numb my emotional pain....any advice?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I feel like medication is different for everyone. What may work for you may not work for me. With that being said when peri first hit me. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and I tried Zoloft because I was in severe pain. For me it numbed the pain but, I didn't feel any high's or any low's. I felt flat and I was advised that is a side effect that some people may have. I felt robotic and not like myself. I mean you don't want to live in pain but, living emotionless is not living either. Again, though it may be different for you. I read many success stories regarding it before I tried it. Just wasn't a success for me. There are many medications out there though so, if that doesn't work. Another may. It may take sometime to find something that works or it may just work for you. I really hope you find something though that makes you feel and soon better soon. Hugs

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, im just so tired of living in this hell. I did take an antidepressant a long time ago when this first started and symptoms wasnt as bad but it numbed me too much too! I didnt feel pain but i couldnt be happy either aboit anything! I was meh about the holidays, my kids...everything so i quit taking it.

• Posted

I've been getting horrendous debilitating migraines (I'm peri) and have been taking Sumatriptan like sweets up until recently. Mr doctor prescribed Amitriptyline (UK) which is a migraine prophylaxis and is a mild AD and also aids sleep. It's changed my life in the 2 weeks that I've been on it. I've had one headache (not migraine) in 2 weeks and I've been sleeping like a log. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks!! I think im ready to give it a try, im really tired if suffering. Im at the point now i feel like what do i have to lose!

• Posted

hi peony, howz your migraines now im on amitriptyline too taking 10 mg every night. im dealing with migraine with aura 💔

• Posted

I have had menstrual migraines for years. They are so painful and since I get my period every 21 days, it can feel like I always have a migraine. I haven't found any solution or help. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. xo

• Posted

Hello

Everyone is different. I was offered antidepressants when I hit meno, but I felt like I was treating the symptoms not the cause. For me, I felt that if I could get the hormones under control with hrt, I could work out what symptoms I was left with. I had migraines but whilst on hrt, so it took a bit of swapping and changing to find the right balance. Hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

hey Brandy...I'm with ya, I have all of those symptoms too. The constant nausea is the worst for me, probably from acid reflux. I want my life back too!!

• Posted

Me too with nausea! Ive lost so much weight im so scared! When i have days i can eat they are followed by nausea ridden days and i cant keep up on my weight! i feel like im wasting away bit its not cause i want to. When i was a teen i was always hungry, i miss those days. Im afraid to take the zoloft for my symptoms of menopause cause i tried it for only one week 2 years ago and i lost 10 pounds that week! Since then i havent been able to gain it back! I cry when i think about my old life

• Posted

I've lost 25 lbs, some days I have to force myself to eat. I had an endoscopy and was told its acid reflux. I'm 45, gyn dr tells me I'm not in perimenopause bc periods are regular. Other drs have told me it's all anxiety and give me xanax or lexapro. I'm afraid to start lexapro bc I have health anxiety and google everything. The whole summer was me running to drs, I'm at my wits end. I cry when I think about my old life too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.