Antidepressant side effects.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been prescribed Venlafaxine XL 75mg capsules for depression, anxiety and panic attacks.

Been on them now for 12 days. The depression/anxiety/panic is awful and I'm struggling badly with it all.

I'm assuming that it's the side effects of the Venlafaxine - worse before it gets better, or something like that.

I didn't bother to read the leaflet as It would make my anxiety worse worrying about it all.

Has anyone had any experience with this antidepressant? Any advice or information that might help me cope with all

of this would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chrisora I'm sorry you're struggling! I've been on these for the last two weeks and I've been told by my care worker that they can take up to six weeks before they start kicking in. Like yourself I'm going through it right now and my advice is to stick with it. Perhaps tell your doctor if things get too much. Hope you get better soon!
  • Posted

For starters, it does take a few weeks for antidepressants to kick in.  And, you may not be on the right one.  Sometimes it takes many tries to find the one your brain and body like but when you do, the depression and all that goes with it will go away.  Be proactive and try to call someone to laugh with.  Even laughing at at a silly tv show will give a boost to your own endorphins for a while and that feels good!  Depression does not want you to have these highs that good feelings being on and will be like the devil on your shoulder telling you not to do it because it might lose it's hold on you.  Laughing, being around people, doing something nice for someone else in need, all release endorphins and they are the first step in regaining your life.  
    • Posted

I just don't have the will or the energy to do anything like that. I'm not watching any tv, not even reading, which I used to enjoy.

Audio books as well I can't settle to, same for meditation CD's or anything like that.

I'm exhausted and wired all at the the same time. I'm scared, tired, inside my head I'm screaming to get away from everything.

My husband tries to do his best to support me through this horrible time but he has a serious medical condition called Hereditary Haemorrhagic Telangiactesia

or HHT as it's also known. He's 67, I'm 61. Neither of us have any immediate family nearby and we have so few friends left.

I hate sounding as though I'm moaning but I feel awful and would just like to feel better.

Sorry for the rambling.

• Posted

Hi Chriselora,

I have been on Venlafaxine for about 6 months now (75, then 150, and now at 187.5).

For 1st 2 weeks no noticeable improvement, but had the nasty side effects. From weeks 2 through 5 saw improvement, and around week 6... bam! I felt much better. Still have some night sweats, insomnia and sexual delay, however the depression has almost disappeared and I am my old self again. In some ways improved I would say as I am much more outgoing and always in a good mood.

Good luck.

• Posted

I know you don't feel like expending the energy or time to feel better; that is the trap of depression.  Take baby steps.  Get out of bed one day and do a few stretches.  Congratulate yourself.  You just did something good for yourself.  Be grateful and try to have some positive conversations with your husband or sister...not about how bad you feel, about something you remember as a good memory.  That will let out a few endorphins and will be a band aid for the moment.  Now, build on that the next day.  Journal.  Yes, it is time consuming but your brain believes you are talking to someone when you write things down.  You can write all the bad stuff you want in it and then shred it, if necessary.  Each time you journal, it will be another baby step.  Be kind to yourself and acknowledge the good about you, like, you'd are a kind, loving person.  When you feel up to it, do something special for someone who would really appreciate it.  Call an elderly or sick person.  Sit by someone going thru the monotony of chemo.  Reminds you what is good about you and your life and what you have to be grateful for.  Baby steps.  This did not come on overnight and will not go away that quickly, either.  Slow and steady are those baby steps.  Bless you and those going thru this with you.
  • Posted

It takes up to 6 weeks for AD's to kick in.

Yes it does get worse before it get better

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Hi There,

I havent been on Venlafaxine before however if its a Serotoninn uptake med there most definately will be some side effects they vary dependant on dosage and person smile rest assure this is a good thing believe it or not hang in there !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.