Antidepressant side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered with depression for most of my life and I have never been able to take antidepressants because of horrendous side effects - extreme anxiety,irregular heart beat and chest pain.Does anyone else have this problem?How do you cope?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan ~

Yes, I did have similar problems.  I'm now on zoloft 100mgs 2xdaily and wellbutrin 300 mgs 1xdaily.  That combination works, for me.  I could feel all the side effects you stated prior to this combination.  Maybe it just takes time to find the right one/s for you?  I know you said you've had it all your life.  Are you seeing a psychiatrist?  A GP doesn't have all the knowledge that a psy has with meds...they can work a combination for you much sooner than a GP.  Don't know what your situation is but if you've only been seen by a GP, perhaps a stop by the psychiatrist is much needed, presently.

Good luck and let us know how  you're coming along.

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi frustrated61.Thanks for your reply.I was seen by a psychiatrist as an inpatient at the beginning of the year and his advice was to never take antidepressants because of the dangerous side effects that I experience.He did put me on pregabalin for the anxiety but even then I can only take them at a low dose.
  • Posted

Hi Susan,

I started on fluoxetine 13 days ago and I'm experiencing everything you said. What everyone says though is that these side effects go away over time.

Danilo

• Posted

Hi danilo45459! Thanks for your reply.I have taken every antidepressant that there is available on the market at the moment and they all give me the same exteme side effects that for me never go away.I know that they work very well for most people and I wish you well with your treatment.
    • Posted

Hi Susan 

I'm the same as you I have been on every medication under the sun over the last .30 years and all I ever get us terrable side effects, I have come to the conclusion that I'm just treatment resistant and come off all my meds recently as there is just no point. I would rather just have the depression and anxiety to cope with and not the side effects of the meds. I do feel better without the meds but the depression and anxiety never seems to stop. After 30 years of this I have come to terms with the fact that this is the way it will always be for me so all I can do is learn ways if coping with it and not keep expecting it to just go away. I have just been through the most awful withdrawal Simptoms from coming off the meds which was venalfaxine and one of the hardest one to come off. I swear to God I will never take another so called antidepressant ever again, to be honest I think I would rather die than put that s""t in my system again. Meds do help some people but the people's is the relief don't last long and the why the dose has to be changed after a while then you end up on the highest dose and after a while they don't work anymore so then you are out on another med and in time the same thing happens and and it's just a never ending cycle. 

• Posted

Hi Micheal.

I think you are correct.I had a terrible time in my thirties when the antidepressants almost drove me to suicide because of anxiety side effects.I have to be careful with all medication not just antidepressants.I am currently trying mindfulness meditation but it is a constant struggle isn't it,especially at this time of year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.