antidepressant withdrawls

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been on antidepressants for 16 years I've just come of them 3 weeks ago. Feel so sick,how long will I be like this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Discontinuation symptoms can look like depression.  I hope you didn't come off cold turkey.  Your doctor should slowly taper you off these pills and may be able to alleviate unbearable symptoms by temporarily returning you to the previously prescribed dose, slowing the tapering process.
    • Posted

Hi no I came of them over a few months.but stopped completely just over 3 weeks ago.im literally going through hell depression anxiety bad bad nausea very lethargic not sleeping properly.just a constant feeling of dread and feel sick
  • Posted

Which med were you on? I was on Celexa for a short time, but had the WORST discontinuation symptoms. These have lasted on, but gotten more mild over 6 weeks. I was told any SSRI can cause this, especially if you didn't taper off, and quit cold turkey.
    • Posted

You will probably be in for a hellish ride. Not to scare you, but to prepare you. Be in close contact with your Dr at this time to talk through symptoms. Some can be severe, though usually not life threatening.
    • Posted

Yeah its already been 3 weeks and hell anxiety hot cold flushes depression nausea lethargic anger insomnia body zaps
  • Posted

It will take a while for you to get off 16 years of drugs out of your system so be patient and healthy and all will be well.

rich

• Posted

Its so hard to be positive when your feeling like crap everyday it's ridiculous what you have to go through
    • Posted

Do you have a counselor you can talk too. Its withdrawls but also realize your body has to reset itself and function with out whatever the meds altered in you.i would think a couple of months at the least. Its more then the meds leaving your system its a readjustmet as well.Im surprised no one explained anything to you. These docs are so quick to throw pills at people and yet when you have to switch or go off no one explains anything. So wrong.
    • Posted

Christina, I have just come across your post.  Do not go back on A/D if you can go through the symptoms.  It will be hard, you will not sleep well, you will have cold and hot flushes, you will have palpitations, but it is not life threatening and you WILL get better.  It will all stop.  Remember, it is only momentarily, you are not in danger, it is normal to come off the A/D in that way.  You will be free, just hold on there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.