Antidepressants

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have noticed that nearly every post I read on hear is about problems with antidepressents, it's either people having problems being on them or people having problems coming off them. It just makes me wonder if there is any Point in taking them except in the acute stage when feeling suicidal ect. I have read very few post from people saying that they are on meds and doing fine. I expect there are a few people that feel fine and happy on meds but it seems there are a hell of people that just seem to be having so many problems with them. It's all a mystery to me because these drugs are supposed to make us better not worse. It's like taking a headache pill and getting a worse headache it just don't make any sense

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael, you make a good point however people who feel well and make progress on antidepressants don't tend to post on the forums so the bias is always going to be the more negative viewpoint.  I know myself that when I had a run of 10 or so ok/good days recently that I didn't really feel the need to post or indeed, spend time looking on the Internet about my illness, I just wanted to make the most of being motivated to do other things.

It does amaze me that no-one really knows how antidepressants work (or not as the case may be), you would think with all the major advances in medicine that someone would have come up with the answer, it'd be wonderful if they did.

I suffered with this for 8 months now, I can't imagine having suffered for 32 years as you have, you're very brave to still be living your life despite this terrible illness.  I do hope you find some peace and happiness soon x

• Posted

Hi gen

Thanks for your reply. That a good point you mentioned about not posting on here when feeling ok. I don't think I'm brave as you said but I think it's just that I have no choice but to keep struggling on. I'm a very determined person and don't believe in just giving up. I beat alcoholism and smoking so I will find a way to beat this somehow.

• Posted

And that's the bravery right there.  To beat two addictions and still have fight and determination to battle a horrible illness is amazing.  Take care x
  • Posted

Hi Michael, I was prescribed Venlafaxine when very ill with depression in summer 2008. It definitely worked as a medication where other anti~depressants hadn't. I have got to the stage that I feel I really want to get off Venlafaxine. I do worry about being on it for a long time & no ongoing monitoring via GP. I have cut my dose in half down to 75mg. Just struggling to reduce further. I really need to speak to GP as I want to do it. I have to be realistic & accept it's going to take time.

Well done on conquering alcohol & cigarettes.

Lisa.

• Posted

Thanks Lisa

It took me a year to get off ven and been completely off them now for 2 months. I'm still feeling so unwell just don't know where to go from here it seems I can't live with antidepressants and I can't live without them I really don't know what the answer is

• Posted

That's good that you did come off them, but sorry to hear you feel unwell. It's such a horrible feeling. Has your GP been supportive?
    • Posted

No my GP just keeps telling me that I need to be on ADs so I won't go to the docs anymore. I am in the process of getting spiritual counciling I have read a lot about it and like the sound of it as its supposed to be very affective. I'm waiting for a phone call about an appointment so I will see how it goes.
    • Posted

That sounds good & I hope it is a positive experience for you. I think majority of GP's think the answer lies in medication & alas they don't have the resources to look at alternatives...
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa I really hope it works because all else has failed and I would do anything to not feel like this anymore. If I was told that if I run up the high street naked then I would be cured I would do it now lol
    • Posted

I'm definitely looking at alternative therapies as the way forward ~ rather than the thought of prescribed medication indefinitely. Need to get back into yoga & meditation. Have you heard of 'tapping'? It can be very effective.

Bit cold in this weather to be running along the high street with no clothes on....lol...

• Posted

Yes I agree about the meds. I have heard about tapping so might give it a go.your right it is a bit cold to run down the street naked but I suppose It would be ok if I wore a willy warmer lol
    • Posted

Probably best to wear clothes...to keep warm...and avoid arrest....😶

Lots of interesting videos about tapping on you tube. My best chum has trained in tapping techniques & going to do it with me.

• Posted

Definitely worth a look. I'm sat reading about meditation. I used to go to a really good class & would come away feeling so relaxed, positive & stress~free biggrin
    • Posted

I think there are a lot of things we can do to help but the trouble with me is that when I'm feeling like I do at the moment I just can't motivate myself I feel so weak and tired. I have been laying on the sofa and just had to get up to get some water and it was such a massive effort just to get up. I just haven't got any strength I feel completely drained and when I do stand up I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm sure there must be something phycicaly wrong with me I have never been this bad before
    • Posted

Am sorry to hear you are feeling weak. You should speak to your GP? I know that motivation can be so difficult at times...I sometimes take myself off to my bed when I am feeling low & then I get so tired & have no energy & the thought of getting up is so difficult. The winter months don't help...when it's cold & dark...

I work & am also studying part~time so I find it helps to get up & focus my mind on that.

• Posted

I spoke to my GP this morning and he said maybe I feel like this because of my constipation problem, my digestive system is not working right so he thinks that this is zapping my energy. He has also booked me in for a blood test for underactive thyriod
    • Posted

Our bodies can react in so many ways. Not fine to be feeling physically down. Lots of rest, relaxation & good food. Which is what I keep telling myself to do....I have a dreadful sweet tooth & need to lose weight. And stop smoking....
    • Posted

The strange thing is that have upped my fibre intake so I shouldn't be constipated even the doctor was baffled about that. Ps sorry its a nice subject to be talking about lol
    • Posted

I don't normaly have a sweet tooth but I have got a massive craving for chocolate tonight for some strange reason
    • Posted

I'm going to end up going to the shop and getting some . Might do me good to have a little walk and get some fresh air, I have been stuck indoors since I got back from the docs this morning
    • Posted

It's always good to get fresh air...Mind you it is freezing where I live, so no venturing outdoors for me tonight!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.