Antidepressants

Posted , 3 users are following.

i can't take ssris. Besides amitriptaline what other antidepressants are there

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Why can't you take SSRIs? And what diagnosis have you received? Of course there are other meds. But typically there is a reason why you are suggested a drug by your doctor over others. There are different families and sub-families of antidepressants. They do all treat depression but not all of them are good for all the different manifestations of the illness. Some are better for some symptoms and some for others. When we are prescribed something the doctor is the one who needs to monitor and administer correct treatment plan. FYI however:

1. Re-uptake inhibitor family: SSRIs(e.g.Prozac and Zoloft), SNRIs (like venlafaxine for example), and NDRIs (Wellbutrin)

2. Tricyclic antidepressants like Desipramine and Amitriptyline that you mention among others

3. Tetracyclic antidepressants such as Mirtazapine, Amoxapine etc

4. Serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor (SARIs) (e.g.Trazodone)

5. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like Marplan (Isocarboxazid), Nardil (Phenelzine) etc.

• Posted

Medicine sensitivity.  Took lexapro. Bad bad experience.  Anxiety depression. Taking Ativan. Just collecting info on non ssris for depression amitriptaline causes palipatations
  • Posted

I haven't found one yet that I can take. I am very sensitive to meds and have bad reactions and side effects that make them impossible to take. So I know what you are saying. Do you have these problems also?

• Posted

Someone on here nited they use gabapentin? I thiught that was for nerve oain but they seem haooy on it for anxiety. I have no clue what class of meds that is. I think ince you keep having issues with traditiinal meds better to try alternative ines. They are strong too. Herbs are medicinal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.