Antidepressants & anti-anxiety meds for perimenopause

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I just wanted to put this out there...

I have a history of depression and anxiety, so when I hit perimenopause, the symptoms got worse. 

I had already been taking Seroquel & Lexapro, but due to the panic attacks and mood swings, my dr added lamictil to my treatment plan. Also, she increased the Seroquel dose by 25 mg.

It's helped alot. I am virtually anxiety-free now days and  my mood swings are much less severe.

I have to put my 17-year old cat down today, and although I am grieving, I am not desperately anxious or out-of-control-depressed. I feel like I'm having a somewhat normal, healthy reaction to this sad event.sad

I just wanted to share this with you...mood stabilizers have definitely helped me and I hope that they can help you as well.

Stay strong and remember that you're not alone.

7 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I also have a history with anxiety.   I have not taken anything for about 15 yrs and have done ok.   Now I definitely notice my anxiety is coming back along with all the other lovely symptoms of peri menopause.   I have been thinking about taking Zoloft again.  All of the symptoms are giving me health anxiety.   It really sucks!
  • Posted

Hi Female Brain.  Thanks for sharing.  I have had to make a few adjustments to my antidepressants.  Do you take any benzo meds for break thru anxiety?  I have Ativan to take in an emergency, but sometimes I feel like I need to be taking it more often.  I guess I haven’t got my meds quite right yet.
  • Posted

Im so sorry to hear about your cat. Sending you positive thoughts.
  • Posted

Hey hun, sorry for your loss I know exactly how you feel as I have lost my mum, my cat, and my rabbit all in the last few months. One sometimes wonders if one is being punished for something done in a previous life! Grieving is an important process no matter whether a loved one or a pet, especially one that has been with you that long. I send all my love and sympathy to you at this sad and difficult time. XXX
    • Posted

Oh geez Tina, I am so sorry you have gone through such loss the past few months.  How are you holding up?
    • Posted

Just about keeping it together at the moment thanks for asking. It all just got too much one after the other but human nature can be so cruel. How are you keeping these days hun. At least we still have eachother!.XXX
    • Posted

I am keeping it together as well...very well stated.  I started on an SSRI a little over a week ago, I am hoping it is going to helpsmile
  • Posted

Hello ladies . I need some advice please . I have been on citalopram for just over 2 years after hitting peri and losing my mum . I was only ever on 10mg , but then about a year ago my doctor adviced me to start weaning myself off . I waited until I’d been away to Scotland for a family wedding in August before I slowly began the process . So now I have got to having practically a crumb every other day . Last week I had a heavy period leaving me feeling depressed and the old anxiety creeping in again . So I have decided to keep on with a small dose everyday . I am worried that I am a failure for not coping . Other women get through the peri without medication , why can’t I ? Does it hurt taking them ? Please help me . Love Jane X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.