Antidepressants for crps

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was told I had Crps by my orthopedic doc after having a fractured shoulder, my hands are affected, have had physio and tried lyrica did not get on with it, I want to suggest to my doctor whether antidepressants would help but would like to know  if anyone has gone that route?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, antidepressants are usually one of the first drugs Drs use for crps. Cymbalta is approved for treatment of pain, and depression. Triptans are prescribed for pain also but can have side effects. I have tried both and I was unable to take the triptans due to side effects. I now am on Cymbalta but not long enough to see if it helps. I have crps in both legs and small fiber neuropathy in both feet. Hope this helps, good luck.
  • Posted

Hello.

I have CRPS in my right foot and leg. I was on Pristiq XR already for Fibromyalgia when I had an accident that caused the CRPS. The Pristiq helped the pain of the Fibromyalgia but I don't know if it helps with the CRPS.

I had horrible CRPS pain even while taking the Pristiq but without the Pristiq the oain may have been worse.

I can't imagine it being worse than it was.

I am better now. Pain has gone from a 9 or 10 to below a five and some days I have no pain just numbness.

Read some of the other posts and replies for ideas on pain control, therapy etc.

I am so sorry you have CRPS. I hope you get relief soon.

Gentle hugs

Tracy

• Posted

They do. At certain levels they help with sleep and nerve pain 
  • Posted

We all have. So far I can say 75% of us have had zero pain reduction. 
  • Posted

I tried amitripiline. Ended up getting rare side effect dystonia symptoms.  So i won't touch that drug. Affected my speech terrible and left with back spasm every day cause of it 

I tried a few other anti d all gave me sickening side affects.  

So I started CBd oil and changed my diet to vegan all organic. I get protein from beans.  For first time in 14 months my pain is lower and burning has eased in my spine.  I have almost full body crps. So I can tell you diet has a lot to do with it !! I also remain positive and use warm baths and basins every day with Epsom salt a few time a day.  All those chemicals just made my crps worse 

• Posted

Full body Brenda?  Wow. How did that happen?  I take 50 mg Amitriptyline twice daily. I'm trying to see a nutritionist. The insurance doesn't cover it. Positive is so hard. I feel the pain sitting here not moving. How can you survive the whole body. You are way stronger than I am. What is CB oil?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.