Antihistamine for cystitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone tried over the counter antihistamine for cystitis or IC? I tried to buy Emiron but only available on prescription and as we have complete lock down here in Spain not able to get a prescription from the doc. Does anyone know if loratadine (Claritin) is suitable. Please help - in agony.

Regards

J

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean. I'm sorry you're suffering - I know how awful this can be. I believe the anti histamine of choice is hydroxyzine but they're all pretty much the same. It's helpful to use one that causes drowsiness at night as it helps with sleep. I have tried antihistamines and sometimes they helped - some people have found them very helpful so definitely worth a try! do make sure you haven't got a UTI though - we sometimes forget that this can be the case as we're so used to pain. This is important especially if your symptoms have got worse. All the best!

• Posted

Hi, thanks for reply. I will try the one you mentioned but when I read it on the internet it didn't mention is was ok for the nether regions?? I've been trying bi-carb but not much help.

Regard

J

• Posted

i use Cimetidine 400mg twice per day and this works pretty well for me though its a prescription med. i didnt find Loratidine worked.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for reply - In view of lock down I need a none prescription pill?

Regards

J

• Posted

Hi again Jean. I've realised that hydroxyzine is a script only drug but if you can phone your surgery the doctor may be able to let you have one. If not then, yes, claritin or benadryl have also been found to help. with the hydroxyzine you have to increase the dose slowly until it has the desired effect - obviously under your GP's guidance. Surgeries are still open for business by phone so if you're in a lot of pain, I'd get onto them and say fellow sufferer's have recommended it - that's what I did and they were happy to help!

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the advice but unfortunately or fortunately I live in Spain and no access to GPs as we have complete lock down . One person can visit the chemist but not the Doc. Have to ring for an ambulance or go to Emergency hospital if very urgent. Our nearest Emergency is 2 hours away!!!!! Will suss out the info you sent many many thanks and keep well.

Regards

J X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.