Antihistamines?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had several bought of IBS and began to get the feelings of another attack. I have only had this for about 10 months so I strted to think what had changed. I then began to look at my antihistamines that I have been taking for around 18 months. The leaflet said side affects can be constipation diarrhoea along with a lot of the other symptoms I was suffering. So I stopped taking them. Within 24 hours I felt better and have not had an attack since. It's still early and I may have another attack in which case I will know O was off the mark but I thought I would share just in case anyone else wants to try dropping their antihistamines if they take them for alergies.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Wow sure happy you appear to be symptom free....

Antihistamines have had confusing outcomes in some studies.....some say effecive for IBS others the opposite. Maybe its the composition or the compounding? or even possibly a contraindication...What is the exact name of your product? thanks, claudio

• Posted

I was taking Cetirizine dihydrochloride. I started taking them for eye irritation and general hay fever.
    • Posted

Important information about some of the ingredients of Cetirizine

Cetirizine tablets contain LACTOSE If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some

sugars, please contact your doctor before taking this medicinal product.

• Posted

wow, didn't know my previous post had been published?? musta hit "reply" by accident...anyway, it's my understanding that when lactose is included in various products, they often use derivatives, which can be more potent than dairy. I'm going by memory...I have "stuff" to do, so will see if I can get a tad more info from the mfg as to exactly what Lactose derivative used, then follow up with a search for a study of ??...my best in the meantime, Claudio
  • Posted

Thank you Claudio. I am not lactose intolerant but looking at the list of possible side effects, the ones I have are not the common ones, they are further down the list on the rarer effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.