Antihistamines and s v t.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone else experiences problems with their heart and extra beats/palpitations when taking cetirizine or other allergy meds. I have cut out caffeine and reduced my alcohol intake and my 'attacks' ( don't know correct term) stopped during exercise( main catalyst). However since the heyfever season has started i've commenced my cetirizine and i have had 4 'attacks' in the past 10 days whilst out running. The B N F ( drugs handbook) does state that rare side effects include palpitation and arrhythmias. So has anyone else experienced this? Any comments would be most appreciated. Thanks Steve.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Steve - I took Cetirizine daily when I had Pityriasis Rosea in March/April of this year. I have had palpitations ever since and generally felt worried about my health. I am a very healthy person normally and 'I don't do sick' however, I have even been to see a heart consultant because I was that scared that something terrible would happen to me. I am constantly aware of my own heartbeat (it pulses in my ears) which means that I am also aware of every palpitation. I haven't taken Cetirizine since my illness passed (at least 6 months) yet my symptoms still persist. Hope you have been feeling better. Elaine
  • Posted

I had a fairly long SVT attack last year after I had been taking Loratidine and though it may not be at all connected, when I went to take them this year for hayfever I read the contra-indications bit on the leaflet and it stated that it could cause SVT (or trigger an SVT). I never thought about the link before so perhaps there is an issue with the action of certain antihistamines on heart rhythm. Needless to say, I went for the steriod nasal spray instead as I really do not like SVT attacks!
  • Posted

I experience this problem. I wake up early in the morning with a pounding, racing heart after taking just half a tablet. I feel very anxious and a bit scared. I get a few ectopic beats anyway and these seem to be amplified by the experience. I never used to experience this, only since I started taking testosterone (as I had a deficiency). But I do have a history of being sensitive to many common drugs - including caffein and nicotine,  ibruprofen but oddly the drug that hospitals give you for 'concious sedation' MIDAZOLAM has little or no effect on me. I guess there's something genetic going on and I metabolise drugs differently from the norm.
  • Posted

I started taking cetirizine 4 months ago after diagnosied with dust allergies and have had heart palpitations everyday. I went to my PCP and he ran an EKG, said everything is fine. I cannot imagine that its fine to have tachycardia daily but they're the doctors right? I quit taking it for a couple weeks and still had it although maybe 1-2 x / day vs 4-5 x's. I am on a mission to see if I should be worried about long term heart effects. Good to hear I can at least attribute it to something since others experience this as well. I like taking them because for the first time in over a year I can sleep through the night. Terrible insomnia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.