Antithyroid meds Vs Radioiodine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Not sure whether to go for for radioiodine or continue to stay on meds? levels seem to be dropping on meds but wanted to hear from anyone who has had the radioiodine treatment as I have heard it doesnt actually cure the underlying condition of graves disease. How do you feel after RAI treatment?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi True,

I did not have radioiodine treatment, but is under ATM treatment toward all levels normal and symptoms fully subsiding. I do agree that radio treatment does NOT cure the underlying condition of GD. I believe radio treatment works more properly and effectively for the patients of hyperthyroidism without GD. It does not address the autoimmune antibody issue, hence the autoimmune problem will continue after the treatment... my 2c.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Mike,

Have you gone into remission or levels just in normal range? also how long have you been on ATM? Ive been on it for a total of 4 weeks and levels dropped very quickly into normal range for me but still not feeling quite right...better but not fully myself yet.

• Posted

Hi True,

I have been in normal range for quite some time, but still taking low dose ATM between every couple days vacation following my endo's instruction. If you took rather high dose and made quick down thyroid levels, chances are some symptoms could still linger on and don't feel quite your old yet. This is normal especially if you don't rely help from supplements, herbs, diet, lifestyle change etc. I do suggest that you keep patient and see how it goes with ATM and other remedies you took... (do it with your endo) Best wish

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.