Anxiety ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I think I may be suffering from anxiety and depression but I'm too scared to make a doctor's appointment. I spoke with an NHS member on the phone today, this was difficult as I hunhg up due to being nervous but she rang back the 2nd time  and i answered and she asked me questions and I told her my problems and she advised me to make an appointment but I told her I felt like it wasn't serious enough.. I will make an appointment eventually it's just I really feel stupid. I haven't spoke to anyone in my family about being haveing anxiety or being depressed and don't really plan on doing so, this is mainly because when I'm with family i'm ok, so they'd think I was being stupid and making a fuss over nothing as do I. This thread would usually be a lot longer but I find it difficult to word my problems and  really don't know if I can pluck up the courage to actualy phone up and make an appointment 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First thing you can do to figure this out is know about it. The interent holds so much info. On anxiety disorders. The mind body connection with Dispenza ..etc..So very easy to gain lots of knowledge. Theres videos, books, podcast, cbt workbooks, meditatiions..a lot out there to help you help yourself and learn ways to rethink a situation. It is when it basically starts owning you that a doctor would come in handy as there are all different meds availabke that might help you calm down a few notches. Meds are a choice and do work half the time as the same with cognitive behavioral therapy and therapy with any choice you make. Weekes wrote the original books on this and many have since joined in on other self books. Some people do feel stigamtized or embarassed  by it but im thinking thats from their own personal life enviornments more then the reality of it. It will never allow you to sweep it under the rug. If it did wed all be in tip top shape.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I'll take what you said into consideration and do some research on the videos and books out there that may be able to help. Once again thank you!

• Posted

Why be afraid? Theres nothing to lose and everything to gain. A Dr will help, if they think they can't they will advise you of that too, theres nothing to be afraid of, they are just people like the rest of us

• Posted

Im exactly the same as you mate, ive had bad anxiety for 4 years, made loads of appointment for health reasons but never actually gone in and said im struggling with my anxiety.

Took me up until 2 weeks ago to do so and now im on the waiting list for CBT, which i feel better for all ready. Dont be shy they see 100s of people with anxiety/depression, doesnt make you wierd

• Posted

Hi just wanted to say, there is nothing stupid or embarrassing about being depressed or anxious.

It is an illness just like any physical illness, and your doctor is there to help, he has heard and seen it all before, and although initially it will make you more anxious going to see him, you will feel much better afterwards,

If you feel you cannot sit and explain things properley to him, then write it all down and let him sit and read it, that way you wont forget anything.

Whatever you do please I urge you to talk to someone, you have made the first move by joining this forum, and there are many people on here that feel as you do, so you are not alone.

Hope all improvess for you, x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.