Anxiety?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I’ll try not to make this short.

Between this perimenopause and stressors at work I don’t know what is going on .  I had my first period in 3 1/2 months at the beginning of February,  A few days after my period and then I had horrible anxiety/panic attack in the shower that didn’t seem to end.  I’ve been constantly taking deep breath‘s and it’s been difficult to get a good yawn in,  i’ve been trying really hard to fight the  needing to take a deep breath because I know it can be a stress release but doing it too much isn’t necessarily good.  Now I’ve been experiencing where I’m almost at times a little short of breath and my breathing seems off,  is this a pre-menopausal thing or stress? I have no idea, has anyone else experienced this??  Any help is so appreciated!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I’ve always had anxiety but never had a panic attack. In November I had my first one and have had several since. It’s terrifying. You should go to the doctor and see if they can give you something for the anxiety. I’m not sure how old you are but I’m 48. My doc tested my FSH levels and they are high. She said I’m definitely going through menopause. Good luck to you. 
  • Posted

Hi Kellie, it can be both peri and stress, or stress brought on by peri. I had breathing issues, it started with getting short of breath now and then, then I felt like something was on my upper back and I couldn't breathe, now I know when my hormones are dropping because I will feel like it's kind of hard to breathe, but not as bad as it used to be. It really is connected to hormones somehow. 

If it's stress, constantly thinking of breathing will just make it worse. Try and get your mind off it.

Hope you start feeling better soon,

XO

• Posted

I just can’t believe all the symptoms we go through,   And you’re right when I pay attention to it just makes it worse so I try to keep myself busy and eventually I’ll forget about it period but the minute I give it a little bit of attention or I get anxiety ridden then it creeps on again period it tends to hit me about anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes after I get up in the morning and then sometimes it sticks with me for a while and then It will go away.  I will be 49 next month,  I have a appt in a couple of weeks with my Obgyn. My son and I go on vacation for spring break and will be gone for 10 days, I just don’t want to  deal with this when were away. 
    • Posted

Just go and enjoy spring break and try to forget it. Yes, all these crazy symptoms are related, I don't know how or why they are, but they really really are. When I was going thru the worse of it, mornings were hard, I'd wake up with my heart racing and think why would it be racing when I was just sleeping? I guess it's all related to the increase in cortisol and adrenaline to compensate for the declining estrogen and progesterone. Would make sense that it causes an anxiety feeling and shortness of breath. I had doctors tell me that I wasn't in peri, but I was 52 and my periods were getting funky. They were very wrong. You're already skipping some periods, so indeed you are peri too. 

• Posted

I also get chest pain and shortness of breath. I would recommend you go to doc or urgent care before your trip to see if they will give you something to help with the anxiety. Even if it’s just a one month supply. It often helps just knowing you have something in case you need it. No need to suffer more than we already are. Hope you have a fun vacation.  PS, do any of you find your hot flashes or hot flushes directly correlate with heightened anxiety? For me they are connected. 
  • Posted

I have been having the same thing on and off for almost 2 years. I think it's anxiety and perimenopause. I am 47 and had a hysterectomy at 45 although they left my ovaries so I could go thru menopause naturally. Since last January I have had so many things I that I am attributing to this menopause crap. I have had acid reflux, weird aches and pain, intermittent breast and ovary pain. Palpatations,Anxiety, depression, crying almost every day. The list goes on. I have had many tests and they have come back good. Thank the good Lord Jesus! About the only thing I havent had is hot flashes! I get so aggravated sometimes because I can not take HRT because I had a blood clot in the past. I just wish there was some help out there for those of us that are not able to take HRT. The doctors can't even tell where I am at because I had the hysterectomy. All they want to do is give you anti depressants. Anyway sorry for the rant! You are not alone in the breathing thing. Just try not to take deep breaths it makes it worse! When I get all crazy I pray and ask God to help calm me down and he does!

• Posted

Yes, I also have the heart palpitations scary! Hang in there. 
  • Posted

Hi Kellie, its anxiety!! Which you get with peri, its awful but once you learn how to calm yourself down it gets easier.. When you can't get that deep enough breath do what ever you can to make yourself belch drink some water or something fizzy, until you let out some deep good belches/burps what happens is when your panicking your swolowing a lot of air and shallow breathing taking in too much so let it out ,gas, anxiety not enough deep breaths its all connected with peri... And omg the anxiety /panic attacks in the shower suck so bad.. I get them too, your not alone on that one but I do the breathing and the belching and calm myself and it always passes before I pass out lol.. Kidding I've never actually passed out but sure does feel like it...you'll be fine it passes scary but it passes...

• Posted

Really, it’s our hormones that’s doing this ?

I mean I knew I was in for a ride but I can’t believe all the crazy stuff that we have to go through,  you would think we would get a break somewhere along the line!

Glad to hear other people have experience this as well period I thought it was a little too ironic that I started experiencing this stuff to days after my last period had ended and then All hell broke loose !

I do have mild asthma, maybe I should start using my inhaler little more in that might bring me some relief as well.  Thank you for everyone’s help on this. if anyone else experiencing this please let me know so I know I’m not alone!

• Posted

Hi Kellie - I had about 5 fairly severe episodes of shortness in breath, they all happened around the same time of day...around dinner time - at first I thought it was heart related, then anxiety related, but the real whopper of an episode kept me gasping for air for about 6 hours until I took an Ativan & feel asleep...the next time it happened to me I grabbed a inhalator that I had of Symbicort & got relief - I then called the allergy doctor & made an appt.  Years ago I had allergy induced asthma because we had a particularly wet winter & my allergies were horrible from the mold & mildew, but had not been plagued by either for 15 years.  Turns out hormones play havoc on your respiration as well & the reason why I was always getting “attacks” at dinner time is because that is when your cortisol is either the lowest or highest (sorry can’t remember which it is) Anyway, I would go get checked out by an allergy dr and or it just could be your anxiety kicking in, which also can cause shortness in breath, either way, it’s our hormones wrecking havoc on our bodies - good luck!

• Posted

Hey Kellie,.I have spent my whole life with low hormone levels due to ovary disease. Imagine my total shock when my remaining hormones crashed and the symptoms I got were horrific especially the anxiety and panic attacks. I was so bad my dr put me on hrt immediately even though I am in an at risk group he said that the pros outweighed the cons and as I simply could not function normally I had to have the hrt and I also take a vitamin supplement for menopause aswell as the hrt hasnt totally stopped the symptoms. I am still going through it despite the hrt but I am better than I was. I would shake uncontrolably, cry for hours, imagine I was dying, I had chest pains. The works basically. My dr has been fantastic as always and so have my partner and my sons who all know whats happening and they all do whatever needs to be done to help and support me through it. I thank god for all of them every day. I wouldnt be able to cope without them or the ladies on this forum. Best wishes to you and hope this has been of help to you.XXX
    • Posted

I am so sorry that it was that terrible For you,  breaks my heart to hear all the stories on here about what women have been going through.  Thinking she have such a wonderful family, best of luck !
  • Posted

Dear Kellie

I had terrible anxiety in peri and a few bad panic attacks which seemed to happen after I had caffeine so if you havent already I would cut that back, it does get better I'm two years post meno and although I have my moments it isnt as bad as it was , I also took a good multi vitamin which seemed to help me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.