anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Backace head feels tender chest pain  I need my cbt appointment 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

The book i was given by my CBT therapist is called 'Overcoming low self esteem' by melanie ferrell. Its great. They tell you to work through this book during your CBT sessions. Why not get started while you wait for your appointment? They say not to go past chapter 4 until your sessions though.

You can pick onw up for a couple of quid on amazon and ebay.xxx

• Posted

Thank you will look in to it I have to wait 3 and a half more weeks 
    • Posted

Really that's bad that I got referred right away but have to wait 5 week 
    • Posted

Yep. And i stil lneed more as i didnt click with my therapist :? didnt get enough out tof the sessions becaause of it so make sure you click or seek an alternative person...xxx

• Posted

Is it true they make you have a panic attack while there 
    • Posted

No. They just help you face your issues/fears/anxiety's gradually. Google ERP (Exposive response prevention). This is a very big part of CBT and will be what you are mistaking them making you have a panic attack with...xxx
    • Posted

Right lol I think iv got the right 1 I have it on my phone now 
    • Posted

What is Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP)?

CBT is made up of many different kinds of therapies. The most important therapy in CBT for OCD is called "Exposure and Response Prevention" (ERP).

The "Exposure"in ERP refers to confronting the thoughts, images, objects and situations that make a person with OCD anxious.

The"Response Prevention"in ERP refers to making a choice not to do a compulsive behavior after coming into contact with the things that make a person with OCD anxious.

This strategy may not sound right to most people. Those with OCD have probably confronted their obsessions many times and tried to stop themselves from doing their compulsive behavior, only to see their anxiety skyrocket. With ERP, a person has to make the commitment to not give in and do the compulsive behavior until they notice a drop in their anxiety. In fact, it is best if the person stays committed to not doing the compulsive behavior at all.The natural drop in anxiety that happens when you stay "exposed" and "prevent" the "response" is called habituation.

Another Way to Think About ERP:

If you begin to think of anxiety as information, what information is it giving you when it’s present? That you are in danger – or more accurately, that you might be in danger. “Might be” in danger is important to consider here.

The experience of anxiety does not feel like a “might”, it feels like a truth: “I am in danger”. This is one of the most cruel parts of this disorder. It has taken over your alarm system, a system that is there to protect you.

When you are facing an actual danger, say crossing a street and seeing a truck speeding toward you, your brain puts out information that you are in danger by making you feel anxious.The anxiety creates motivation to do something to protect yourself. The behaviors you engage in to protect yourself can actually save your life, for example getting out of the way of the oncoming truck!Unfortunately, in OCD your brain tells you that you are in danger a lot,even in situations where you “know” that there is a very small likelihood that something bad might happen.

Now consider your compulsive behaviors as your attempts to keep yourself safe when you “might be” in danger.What are you telling your brain when you try to protect yourself?---That you must be in danger. In other words, your compulsive behavior fuels that part of your brain that gives out to many unwarranted danger signals. In order to reduce your anxiety and your obsessions, you have to stop the compulsive behavior.

What do you have to risk by not protecting yourself? It feels like you are choosing to put yourself in danger. Exposure and Response Prevention changes your OCD and changes your brain because you actually find out whether you were in real danger or not.

• Posted

Ill give you an example... If someone is scared of spiders the treatement would be to expose yourself to a small spider and gradually increase the size of the spider... They wouldnt be faced with a turantula straight away...
    • Posted

Right I get you now in not scared of spiders I just don't hesitate to kill then lamp I shouldn't but be all right may thus is my punishment for killing all those spiders lamp 
    • Posted

Haha i thought you will have meant something like LMAO. I thought it was a new one from wherever your from. Haha.xx
    • Posted

Lol no new words from were I am Bradford nowt new there pmsl
    • Posted

No im joking, Im from Scarborough originally but live in York now.x
    • Posted

Lmfao that's funny I had to think then lol I have a indian family and a baboon who lives next door to me lmao. Yorks nice 
    • Posted

Yeah i have always wanted to be in york since i was a kid... Only been here a year though. Scarborough is S*#T!!!!. lmao.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.