Anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with anxiety and also depression. I feel a little better than a few weeks ago but I keep getting a really tight chest and anxious feelings and the feeling that everything is pointless. I'm fine if I keep myself occupied and I can cope with things much better, but I find it difficult to do anything I would usually enjoy. My question is what can I do when I feel the anxiety sensation coming on, when nothing seems to distract me?

thanks!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's really tough, you feel like your getting somewhere then out of the blue anxiety bites you in the butt, I'm like you yet to find something to distract me when the anxiety comes on, I thought about all sorts from puzzles to housework but nothing works, I'm sitting here now after having a good day ish with my heart pounding and feeling dizzy but nothing I try is calming me down its a rubbish time for us all, if u find a miracle let me know, hope u feel better soon x
  • Posted

I would like to suggest for the anxiety... If you are a music person... Headphones,books that are really attention grabbing!,texting friends. Just remember you are NOT alone in this. If you want to private essage me i would love to share my story with you. 

Now the depression... I am recently suffering fomr it and mind you i dont have too many ppl i know who know about it... ant problem i go through. Just keep your head up. remember there is a reason you are still here. Find things that make you smile and live in the moment!!!!!

• Posted

Hi dk, I think that if you keep running from your anxiety and depression it will keep haunting you. As counterintuitive as it may sound: sit still and do breathing exercises. You'll take the force out of the anxiety by paying attention to your breathing. The good thing about this is that you always have your breath with you, you can do it anywhere.

To prevent anxiety from popping up, it's best to build in breathing exercises into your daily routine. It won't work right away, but if you persist you will see that after a week or so you will feel better, not just while you're doing the exercises, but in general.

See for instructions on the right of this page: Pursed lips Exercise. it's very powerful, even though it sounds simple.

Depression and anxiety are signs of a part of you screaming for attention, you can give attention to that by taking care of your breathing. Restoring your natural breathing has a broad effect on your stress system; your blood pressure, heart beat, stress hormones, neurochemistry etc.

As long as you keep running from your emotions, they will keep biting you in the heels.

I hope you have a good counselor, he or she will be able to help you find out the core issue which is causing all of your complaints and help you to solve this.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my message with some great advice smile
  • Posted

Accept it. Its your own thoughts doing it thats why your not able to distract it. There is this breathing thing called mindfullness. You use your belly somwhen you breathe in your belly expands and then breathe out your belly flattens. Breathe slowly and for exactly two solid minutes you allow NO thoughts at all. You tell yourself for the next two minutes im going to breathe and literally no matter what allow no thoughts. Its only for two solid minutes so its very doable. Amazingly its enough time to stop the nerve synapse and get a grip. Then if needed you do it again. Eventually youll master this and be able to calm yourself down enough to rationalize that its okay and its your body reacting to adrenaline from your negative fearful thinking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.