Anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been suffering Anxiety attacks for about 3 month now I wake up every morning to an anxiety attack, my Doctor has put me on Propranolol it doesn't seem to do anything but I've only been on it one week, has anyone else had Propranolol and did it work for you?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi what dose propranolol are you on and how would you rate your anxiety levels? Reason I ask is I have been on low and high doses of propranolol and it helped to start with but now it doesn't touch the sides but my anxiety is higher than ever right now but when it was moderate it worked a charm!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I'm on 40mg twice a day but I still wake up every morning feeling anxious shaking and being sick..

• Posted

The propranolol won't stop the thoughts regardless of dose, it only stops the physical symptoms related to panic but not that great on anxiety - I have tried majority of meds and none seem to work to be honest so I am doing counselling at the moment - I understand everything your going through and just know your not alone x

• Posted

Thanks I'm waiting to start counselling, as I don't really like taking meds, only started taking these to try help in the meantime, I'm very sceptical about pharmaceutical meds but my physical symptoms are so bad daily I felt I needed something to help.

• Posted

Hello Kitty,

Sorry to hear you are going through this, it's an awful experience! 

I have just started Propranolol - 10mg 3 times a day. It's only a low dose I know. I tried 80mg slow release for a week and they were too strong, my anxiety was pretty much gone but  I could hardly move on them. It felt like I was weighted down by lead just walking around the house. Had to stop them.

I am not sure I like the effects of it at the moment but it's only been a week as well for myself. I just feel more tired rather than anything else. Panic does seem a bit less though.

How have you found it so far?

I have found that Camomile tea works better for me. It really helps to calm your nerves down and for me, it calms a lot of the physical sensations like shakes and that right chested feeling. It does make me insanely sleepy though. I have it in work when I am really bad as a last resort before running out the office!

Similarly, Passionflower and Valerian root supplements are amazing. Passionflower gives me say 5/6 hours of being anxiety free (calmer mind) while Valerian root just helps me sleep. 

Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this with me, I don't feel any affects from it as yet, I still wake up anxious and can't get to sleep at night.

• Posted

I made a big post for this but it is being reviewed by a moderator, so I will summarize it haha,

Propanol has absolutely no anxiety reducing effect unless! You're anxiety is brought on by either heart health anxiety or something to do with your heart

Propanol has absolutely no mind effects and won't do anything for anxiety except for keep your heart rate lower then normal during an attack, you will just feel crippling fear instead, awesome, :p also assuming you're anxiety is related to your heart in some way I'm guessing it is or else you wouldn't of been prescribed that, propanol takes minutes to kick in and have no long term benefits besides side effects it will not ease your anxiety anymore if it didn't within the first hour of taking it the first time

Are you happy? Is there anything bothering you? Sometimes we just gotta slow down and take it easy I experience crippling panic attacks every summer when I work in the kitchen 70+ hours a week at a very high pace

Eases up in the winter but I still have anxiety

• Posted

Also I should be clear for anyone, propanol can reduce overall anxiety by keeping the heart from pounding out of the chest during an attack but if you're more of the scared for my life for no reason type and just wan an cry or not go anywhere..

the faster heart isn't your biggest concern rather the fear, I suffer with this too but my fear is for my heart rolleyes

• Posted

I think the idea of Propranolol is to just help ease the physical sensations that go with Anxiety. Over time, if the physical effects are reduced, you're anxiety might naturally lower. Great in theory but it's not working for me. I find that as soon as a tablet starts to ease off, my symptoms come back again only this time round you are more aware of them because they feel "stronger" than before taking the tablet. No winning. 

• Posted

Great point! I noticed it did help for me with heart palpitations, sorry to hear the symptoms appear worse when it wears off rolleyes what sort of symptoms do you take it for?

but I am curious if someone is only experiencing fear, like fear of having panic attack I don't understand how it would help those symptoms because they're all mental, maybe il never know

• Posted

I was the same, the fear of a panic attack. 

Panic attacks are driven by your thought process yes, but if you focus that thought process on say your heart rate or palpitations, it elevates or gets worse. "does my heart feel faster", "is it beating stronger than normal" etc etc. What I find with Propranolol is that it takes away the sensations of a panic attack and reduces the severity. So what would have been a mild panic attack before is now only low and more manageable. Your mind quickly changes focus when your heart rate is slowed and your nerves are more steady. It's amazing at how quickly it can turn things around!

Have you tried any CBT courses? It helps a lot in managing your thought process and explaining why everything happens as it does.

• Posted

Hey hope your coping okay but I've never been given propranolol before I got given betablockers before but never took them I use herbal tablets they're much safer to use as prescribed tablets can be addictive I've heard so I stick to the safer option x

• Posted

I take propranolol but also citolapram. I wait an hour and then feel ok to get up.

Maybe you need extra medication to help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.