Anxiety

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm looking for a herbal remedie to help with premenoposal symptoms, tiredness anxiety, not be able to think straight all the time

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky

Try Magnesium Citrate. My partner has suffered terribly with anxiety since perimenopause (never having worried about anything before), and she's also had terrible insomnia. I researched for ages about anti - anxiety and sleep herbal remedies. We now both take (her for peri and me for chronic anxiety) 200 - 400 mg a day of Magnesium Citrate. I ordered it from Amazon. It's made by Solgar

The difference has been astonishing. I have taken sleeping pills before and they have had nowhere near the effect that Magnesium has had. We were taking 400 mg a day and sleeping too much so dropped to 200mg a day. I can't recommend it enough - my partner's hideous hormonal anxiety and insomnia has improved so much. x

• Posted

Thankyou for your advise, I've just started taking black cosh I'm taking primrose oil and vitamin d. Do you know if it's ok to take Magnesium citrate with all of those.

• Posted

Hi Vicky

?My partner takes starflower oil (used to be on primrose oil but changed because starflower has a better "hormone balancing" effect) and vitamin d and to my knowledge these are fine with magnesium citrate.  She certainly has experienced nothing other than positive effects.  I'm not sure about black cohosh so would do some google research on that one.  I only know it to be apparently good for sweats/flushes, and have also read that it can have adverse effects on liver function.  Just something to keep in mind and research : ) 

• Posted

Can I ask you how long after you started using the magnesium did you notice improvements in sleep. 
    • Posted

Hi Dawn

​Within 3 - 4 days, straight up!

• Posted

There's still some insomnia for a couple of days around ovulation but apart from that there's massive improvements.

• Posted

Wow. That's amazing it worked that fast. I take Zoloft for my anxiety and it helps but my main problem is my sleep or lack of it. I'm gonna look into the magnesium. I've read a lot of ppl use it but it seems like everything I try doesn't work as well as it does for others but I'm interested to see if it can help. 

• Posted

Hi dawn0904...do u think an antidepressant helps. I just started on a low dose of a mood stablizers because i feel so sad all the time crying, i feel scared for no reason..anxiety for no reason. I am premenopausal and never felt like this its been 6 months. I dont know what to do with my self.
    • Posted

Actually mine has helped me since day one with my anxiety. Before I started I always had that flu like feeling all the time in my body from the anxiety being so bad. I was always on edge. Could never relax. Not even watch tv comfortably until that first week on Zoloft. It's been a rough road, it comes with its side effects but I pushed thru them and today, I feel so much better. I've been taking my Zoloft since July 10th. I don't wanna be on it forever that's for sure but it's helped my mood and my anxiety so much and I'm grateful for that. I do also take Ativan when I have some bad moments with my anxiety but they're not anything like before. My only issue now is getting my sleep back under control. I've been struggling with it since my anxiety started so it's been tough. Good luck with your decision and I would give an antidepressant a try. It may be what you need to get you out of the darkness you're in as well. Keep in touch. I'd love to hear how you're doing. 

• Posted

Hi Vicky - I am one of the unfortunates that suffer with anxiety too. I can handle all the other nasties of peri but anxiety is by far to worst to deal with. A lot of ladies on the forum suggested Vitamin d, calcium and magnesium to help with the anxiety symptoms. I have been trying this out for a while now, have gone for CBT (therapy) and are using a natural supplement called "be stress free". I have taken rescue for the anxiety, unfortunately mine was so bad that I had to visit the GP and are on xanor sx  0.1mg.

I read a lot about the anxiety symptoms that goes with peri and some info that I came across suggested St' Johns Wort (not completely sure if the spelling is correct)  supplement for peri symptoms and Valerian for anxiety. I am doing okayish now so haven't tried out these products.

I am also one for herbal remedies, and maybe other ladies here will have suggestions too on recommended products. 

I know google is not always the best tool to look up remedies, but it helped me a lot in getting suitable replacements.

Hang in there, this is not an easy road, but it will eventually pass.

• Posted

I have extra magnesium-- I'll have to take that and see if I see a difference.   I can sleep 7-8 hours but still wake up tired and groggy so maybe it will help get that good sleep.  I do take a calcium pill with mag in it but perhaps not enough mag.   I stopped taking D cuz it's summer but I should start taking that as well being close to fall.  I do take Cod liver fish oil and it helps with anxiety.   

• Posted

Oh and Valerian root too!!!   I used to take that before bed and it helped!!  But now since I've been sleeping thru the night I don't bother with it for now.

• Posted

Bach's remedies are awesome.  There are 38 different ones for 38 different symptoms.  Google them.  I love them, and use quite a few

• Posted

Ladies do you sometimes suffer with the anxiety and worry if it's something more serious than hormones

• Posted

I did worry..  had MRI  a few years back and there was NOTHING!!!!    Just arthritis..   And another thing that puts me at rest is the fact that many other women are me with dizziness, fatigue, headaches, anxiety, and the list goes on and on..   
    • Posted

The lightheadedness is scary for me...had every test under the sun all neg...i have a case of costochondritis i cant get rid of snd i am so emotionally loosing it..just started a low dose of a mood stabilizer hope it helps. I would like to try the magnesium
    • Posted

I had 2 years of extreme lightheadedness and dizziness full time.  It was very scary.  I was so afraid to drive, or take the grandkids anywhere!  Now I get it periodically...not daily all day anymore so at least I can pick my days.  I don't know what started it, nor what ended it.  I tried everything to get rid of it but nothing seemed to help at the time except cold wet bandanas on my head and neck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.