Anxiety about food

Posted , 5 users are following.

I know it's silly but I ate orange chicken last night and since then been worried about the dizziness coming today because of it. The place doesn't use msg but it's now making me anxious. My dizziness has been good for a few days. Now I feel off because of the anxiety about it.

It's crazy to have to worry about food.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi patty do you watch what you eat because some food can make things worse like coffee chocolate Chinese cheese orange juice coffee and tea.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Do you find it only causes the headache? Does it cause your dizzibess to be worse also? When I get the headache and neck pain that's when my dizziness and off balance are worse. I can't tell if it's a migraine unless it goes on for a. Couple of days

• Posted

Hi patty when I seen a EnT he told me to keep a diary on what foods which was making me words. Some foods can make your dizziness and migraines wores. He told my to drink only 4 cups of tea a day.
  • Posted

Do you have previous history of having an adverse reaction to orange, chicken or orange chicken? Do you have a rational reason to 'worry' about food? What must you avoid?

• Posted

Reading about foods that can effect it I guess causes me to think it's going to cause dizziness. I've never had a reaction to food in my life. I used to eat chocolate and nothing, now I worry about eating it. I've always asked the question how can the foods you've eaten all along cause MAV to be worse. I've never been dx'd with migraine in my life. Now I have MAV, and a bit of mdds. This came out of nowhere, but the Amitripyline I took for about a week until I had a reaction to it stopped the dizziness and head and neck pain, and the ENT said that's the test to tell if it's MAV . So now I worry about the food. How food can trigger this makes no sense to me.

• Posted

Certain natural and man-made chemicals in the "migraine" food groups act to excite the brain, triggering migraine. That is how foods can cause this. I cannot eat many foods that I have eaten my whole life since this came on 2yrs ago. My Dr said it was not uncommon. Did u read the book I mentioned? He really explains it so very well.

• Posted

I would suggest a positive step would be to keep a food diary. We are all individual, so something that may affect me may not affect you and vice versa.  I wonder however,  if the results of a food diary could be skewed by your anxiety. The language you used in your post (worry, worried, anxious, anxiety) appear to be more of a focus for me than the question of diet. I understand the daily battle dizziness can cause, I myself have been suffering with vestibular neuronitis for over 14 months, but it is commonly know that anxiety itself can cause a variety of symptoms including dizziness. So it may be an idea to seek help and learn to notice when the anxiety is starting and techniques on how to nip it in the bud. 
    • Posted

I'm seeing a psychologist and it's helping. But I've noticed when I eat something on the food list I do get anxious thinking it's going to cause dizziness. Ever since this started the dizziness when I have it has caused my anxiety to heighten. I don't know why but the dizziness really bothers me. I think it was much worse before the ENT was sure it was MAV. I know anxiety comes with it but mine has been very bad. It's getting better except for the food issue. I'm keeping a diary of foods in hope to find anything. I ate some chips a while ago and found myself anxious about it because of the salt. I know it's crazy but I appreciate everyone's help

• Posted

I haven't read the book yet.

My daughter gets migraines once n awhile. I'm wondering if my headaches over the years that I thought where neck related are migraines. I still have them now at least once a week. The aypmtins that I have with them are, nausea at times, neck and upper shoukder pain, sometimes the vision in one eye is off a bit, sound sensitivity. So I'm guessing sometimes they are a variant of the migraine.

• Posted

Sounds very much like migraine to me. I have had all of those symptoms, many times without the one sided headache. Jaw issues can coexist, and both worsen and mimic some migraine symptoms. I just finished 6wks of physical therapy for my tmj. My Neuro recommended it because my back of head, neck and shoulder pain was becoming chronic vs episodic. I thought I was going into chronic migraine. Anyway, I was skeptical because my jaw didn't bother me, but my neck/occipitals did. I have to say, I feel tons better now and no dizziness for awhile. My Neuro says a lot of her migraine patients have tmj issues, and she sends them to a qualified tmj therapist.

Migraine has a definite genetic component. My mom had them occasionally in her early 20s, but she always called them sinus headaches, so we never knew they were migraine. Then, in her 60s, she had a minor head injury that triggered almost constant migraines. She got past those with meds, but occasionally suffers vertigo as well as stroke like migraines. Fortunately, they are extremely infrequent, and she regularly sees an exceptional Neuro.

• Posted

Lol, yes I totally understand where you are coming from!

Diet can be a huge migraine trigger, and that goes for any manifestation of migraine, including MAV. When I am going through a difficult spell, like this Spring, any of the many migraine foods can tip me over the edge. And the payback usually comes within 24 hrs. It has actually been helpful know that about my personal reaction. I plan events when I will be eating out and cannot control ingredients such that I do not have to work or have plans the next day.

Try not to worry. While my personal response time is within 24hrs, I remember reading that food migraine triggers hit 24-48hrs later, so you only have one more day:-) The only thing that behaves more chronically for me is caffeine, which is actually a drug, not a food. It takes awhile of being off it for me to feel better.

During summer and fall, when I seem to do much better, I can be way more liberal with my diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.