Anxiety about going into work

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right forum it may need to be in stress at work but I'm feeling more anxiety than stress. On Friday evening I went out with work colleagues and an incident happened where three of my colleagues who I thought were friends turned on my and ganged up on me.We ended up in an argument over one of them jokingly slapping me. Although they didn't mean it viciously and didn't do it hard my point was that he did slap me. Because the two other colleagues involved over heard this they accused me of telling everyone he had hit me and said I was lying. they were all really mean to me and said some really cruel things, one colleague then kicked a road sign across the street and then my handbag which really scared me and then I found out they had my phone and my bag. Everyone had been drinking which made the situation worse but now I don't want to go back into work I'm really anxious and uncomfortable about being around them now. I've tried to sleep on it and speak to my manager today but she has asked if it can wait until tomorrow so now I have to go in. Does anyone know if this is somesomething I can get a sicknote for or if I can not go into work because of this if it happened out of work hours? It was a night out planned by work. Am I over reacting? I feel like I've been ganged up on and bullied by them. I also don't want to get them into trouble. I'm really panicking about going back in.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

Sorry to hear you've had an awful time with your work mates, this is exactly why I always make my excuses when our place arranged nights out, unfortunately you need to go into work and face the music, however I would talk to your manager about what happend because it is totally unacceptable and need to be addressed, you don't have any loyalties

To these people and they have shown their true colours to you in behaving that way. If your manager brushes it off then speak to your union rep if you have one if not join a union, it's your insurance while your at work.

Also remember they will probably be more embarrassed about what happened and either want to avoid you or be all apologetic.

Good luck

FM

• Posted

Even tho it wasn't at work it's still bullying and is unacceptable behaviour. I really feel your pain. People can be so cruel, what goes round comes round, so don't forget that. It's totally malicious and they owe you an apology to say the least. If you're too scared and anxious I would make an appt at or have a phone conversation with your Dr to show how serious this is effecting you. Phone work and speak to your manager to say it's made you ill. Don't let the bullies win. Good luck and hope it will make your"so called friends" feel guilt and hurt too. Rooting for you...
  • Posted

Hello Laura ,

What happened was really bad and if I were in your shoes I would also think of all different options or even want to quit working there. If you report against them and continue to work there it might not be very wise as they aren't very good people and you can't feel comfortable without raising this issue with your manager etc etc. the best and easiest thing to do in helpless situations like this just pray to God. Tell him all your complains and your wants and tell him to take control over the whole situation.

Try it and see that the next day things will all turn out in your favour. Iv experienced how God changes the whole situation in our favour when we pray to him.

Hugs and prayers.

• Posted

I have tried to comtact my manager today as I didn't know what to do. My manager has said she will speak to me first thing tomorrow morning as she was busy today so I am going to speak with her just so she knows what's happened and why I am being different because I know it's going to affect how I am at work now. I just don't want to get any of them in trouble and if I do I know it will make them angry and make the situation worse. I do think I need to go in and face the music because if I leave it any longer it will just get harder to go back but it doesn't make it any easier. I've managed to speak to someone else at work who is going to meet me in the morning so I'm not alone.
    • Posted

It's good someone is going to meet you, it's always good to have support from at least one person, just hold your head high when you go in because you have done nothing wrong!

They are the ones who should be ashamed and they are the ones who should be begging for your forgiveness.

What's likely to happen in my opinion is that they will come and apologie and try 'laugh it off' so to speak, but if this does happen you still need to report it because it is bullying and it is totally unacceptable.

Good luck and keep us updated with how you get on....

FM

• Posted

I would go to the human resource dept and legde a complaint. These are awful people and abusive.  No respect for others or empathy. Make sure you state that you are afraid of retaliation. if this company does not discipline these deviants and freaks of nature get an attorney and sue them for allowing this horrible beahvior. I am sorry you had to endure this.  You are having issues becasue of them and that is not right.  They need to be stopped.   Keep me posted and I wish you the best. May God open a new door for you where you are safe and sound. 
  • Posted

Hi Laura please don't think that I'm dismissing or not believing you about your incident with work colleagues.

i noticed you've posted on the alcohol consumption forum that you always drink too much when you go out and can't remember what you did or said. As you say everyone was drinking as it was a work do. The chances are that those involved are anxious and embarrassed about returning to work as well.  This however is no excuse for what they did to you. I would tell my manager or HR dept ASAP what happened and how anxious and stressed you are. Yes you can get a sick note for stress and anxiety from your gp, but I'd speak to my manager first. Otherwise you could end up off work for a couple of weeks and returning to work will bring on more anxiety. The fact it happened out of work hours is irrelevant as the evening was organised by work. If you go back and your colleagues continue to threaten or verbally abuse you, then with a sick note and you're manager knowing what happened, you have a strong case for harassment in your work place. No one should ever feel afraid or threatened about going to work and suffer verbal abuse. Your manager needs to sort this 'bullying in the work place" out. If not then he/she are not doing their job properly

please let us know how you get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.