Anxiety about having anxiety is giving me more anxiety than anxiety itself!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anybody else like this? It's like I'll be fine and then I'll have an important meeting for work, or my mom will want to have a holiday gathering, or something else that would cause some anxiety, but then I'll start thinking oh man I hope I don't have an anxiety attack...and bam I'll start having anxiety about having anxiety. I try to calm myself down and tell myself that everything is fine, but it's not working very well. I've been dealing with anxiety and depression for so long I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I've been taking 50mg sertraline for 4 weeks now and I just don't think it's helping.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,it's like me . When I know I will have to drive somwhere , automatically in my head worry starts . What if I have panic attack while I drive ? 

It's worse if I know the weather is going be bad ! 

Even I know it's in my head only , I can't help not to think about it .

• Posted

Yeah it's funny, worrying about having a panic attack leads to having one! I don't know what happened yesterday. I took a shower before work and while I was showering I swore I could smell something burning. I checked my water heater, made sure my xmas lights were turned off, checked my dishwasher and oven. I finally left for work, late, had a panic attack on my way to work, had to call my mom to talk me down, my boss is looking at me like what the world is wrong with you? And the whole time im at work I just can't help but think that my house was in the midst of burning down even though I knew everything was fine!

• Posted

That's strange how the brain works . If I have to leave house , I get water ready , elastic band - to distract myself . Just whatever is possible that can help me to drive safely without panic . Beside the medication did you try some therapy ? Or meditation ? All the best ! 🌞

• Posted

I have had some therapy, but it's pretty expensive, insurance doesn't cover much for counseling. And I also find that having something to drink helps. I even switched to decaf tea on recommendation from my counselor since caffeine can exasperate anxiety. I've done yoga which I like and seems to help calm my mind but it's hard for me to stay committed to anything because when I get really depressed I don't even want to get out of bed

• Posted

I just hope soon you will start feeling better . It's holiday's time , enjoy it ! 

Just  remember you are not alone here . Let us know how you feel ok ? 

• Posted

Day 3 of my latest anxiety attack. Just feeling like this is never going to end. I didn't sleep well last night but I got up and took my medication. I ate as much as my upset stomach would allow me to (1/2 banana, some applesauce and a glass of water) and went for a walk around the block. Currently at work, my boss sent me to the back to unbox clothes lol! He probably just doesn't want to deal with me but also is saving me from customers asking me why I'm crying. I just told him I don't feel well, that my throat hurts and my stomach is upset (true!). Only my immidiate family know about my anxiety and depression. Has anybody else told their co-workers or boss? I don't want him to think I'm incapable of my job or constantly asking if I'm ok because that will just bring on anxiety even when I'm not anxious. I'm worried my anxiety will get to a level where I won't be able to work...then what? I go live with my mom?

• Posted

Just do the best you can---  Take medication, keep taking with your doctor, exercises, when you feel an attack coming try and find something that works--  deep breathing maybe..   The medication can make you sick if you don't eat enough--  Vitimins make me sick if I don't eat.   I wouldn't tell your boss--  try and keep it together, get the work done and go home. : )    But if you feel more comfortable, then yes go with live with your mom.

• Posted

Yes I feel like this...  it snowballs too..    Next time you feel like this, try and do some cardio.  I'm not an exercise nut at all but it seems like when I start feeling anxious about something-- I'll go for a walk, go up and down stairs, even run in place.  And I do feel better afterwards..  It works!!!  Or I'll get down on the floor and do push-ups and breathing exercises.   Keep taking the sertraline and next time talk with your doctor about it..   Also, Valerian Root is a natural herb-- you can try taking one to see if that helps during an anxious moment.

• Posted

I've heard of valarien root, I think I actually had some at one point. I am going to try to go for a walk tomorrow before I go to work to see if that helps. I wish I lived close enough to walk to work. I'm worried that in between when I leave work that all that dread and panic and negative energy will take over

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.