Anxiety about heart

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please tell me I'm not the only one, I'm so convinced something is wrong I think I'm only making it worse! It races all day long. And I mean really fast! When I'm sitting it's between 70-90 which is normal I guess, but the minute I stand up or walk or do anything that really isn't exerting myself it jumps to 130-140. This in turn makes me panic which means it takes an age for me to calm down.

I'm on propranolol which helps with the racing heart but I've got myself convinced it's just masking a genuine problem. I have myself convinced if I don't take propranolol I'm gonna drop dead and I don't want to rely on the tablets either, I feel like I'm losing my mind!!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you keep thinking about it in my case anyway I can caus the fast heartbeat. Normal for anxiety,especially if thats what you fear. Try and not think about it.you must take your pulse alot to know how fast it goes all the time. You are on a med to control it. Try not to worry. I know its hard as I have health anxiety also.
    • Posted

Yeah unfortunately I have developed a slight obsession with checking my pulse sad x
    • Posted

Good day. I too find myself checking my pulse many times a day. The more I check it, the faster it gets. I have been battling anxiety for about a year now. I was OK for months, then I found myself in the hospital twice just this last December. Many tests were run and the docs assure me nothing is wrong with me...just this dreaded anxiety. I get over it by ignoring my impluse to check my pulse, and before I know it I am better again.
    • Posted

Yeah I need to learn how to fight the urge it's so hard cause I keep thinking I wonder if it's slowed down yet lol x
    • Posted

You are not alone! I have had days that I check my pulse when I wake up, while walking , eating, in a store, while at a movie and just before bedtime. Get the OK from your doctor that you are physically sound. Then accept you have anxiety and when you begin to feel bad, repeat to yourself "it's only anxiety". I learned this after 4 trips to the hospital for severe panic attacks. Easier said than done...but patience and don't give in!
    • Posted

I used to do the same thing with my blood pressure. E very time id have it taken it would go sky high. N ow before its taken i just think to myself its fine. Always get a good reading if i think it will be good. Amazeing how the mind body connection works.
  • Posted

I'm the same! If I start worrying about my heart rate too much it'll sky rocket. Especially when I do things like walking up stairs, something that should be fine, my heart races. I've also become obsessed with taking my pulse and must take it about 20 times daily, and that's on a good day.
  • Posted

Hey Aimeelou. I also suffer from health and anxiety and I also tend to check my pulse a few times a day. I also have a stethoscope at home, so that let's you know that I'm constantly check my heartbeat as well.

I am no one to give advice because I too get really anxious, with heart palpitations and really rapid pulse. But what I have tried is to cut down any sugary drinks, like soda and juices I usually just stick to water. I also stopped eating meats and have been eating things like fish, eggs etc..

My anxiety was so bad that today I had a heart catherization, due to the chest pain the anxiety is causing. Thank God they found nothing wrong with any of my arteries and everything came out completely normal.

My cardiologist explained to me that this was the ultimate test to make sure my heart is functioning the correct way with no problems, and so I did it. This was not something I wanted to do, but being that I was so obsessed with my heart and I was almost 100% sure that there was something wrong with it, I had to do it.

I am only telling you this because anxiety has a way of making you believe whatever it wants. Do not let it control you and try to relax and breathe.

By the way, I also started taking propanolol a few days ago and I didn't like the side effects much, so instead of taking it 10mg3xday I have only been taking 5mg once a day and I'm not sure of the propanolol is working or the changes I have made in my life. Either way, I am slowly but surely starting to feel better.

Do not give up, and if you feel as though you need to speak to someone about this you should definitely check with your doc, so they can do some testing to completely rule out your heart and atleast you will have some type of relief.

Oh and you are not going to drop dead if you don't take the propanolol. Prayers going your way, I hope you feel better really soon xoxo

• Posted

Thanks so much guys for all the replies I will try to take on board what you have said! It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one with the same symptoms, anxiety is really horrible and messes with your head! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.