Anxiety about not sleeping means I can’t sleep . Please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had this problem for 25 years off and on but it has become worse over the last 10 years. My subconscious is anxious about not sleeping and so as soon as My Head hits the  pillow my heart strats pounding.  Sleeping tablets don’t help any more. I can do deep breathing but that doesn’t help either. The heart still pounds. I’ve trued cbt, hypnotherapy and relaxation tapes.  My heart pounds right through the tapes and often pounds all night. I get little sleep affecting my daytime thoughts, health and well being. Antidepressants help a bit but the heart still pounds. 

Im so fearful of not sleeping and my heart pounding that this is what happens. I’m desperate for help. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

This is almost exactly what I feel like too, I get anxious about sleeping, and the anxiety keeps me awake, it's a vicious cycle I don't know how to break, I can only sympathise.

One thing that helps a little is I meditate during the day, so I'm not quite as anxious about not sleeping, as my body and mind does get some kind of rest.

• Posted

Hi

I also have the same problem that has been going on for years. Don’t know what a good nights sleep is! I also get anxious about not sleeping and dread going to bed and just laying there with heart pounding. It’s the fear of not sleeping that keeps me from sleeping. I just worry that I won’t cope and that all my organs are going to fail etc etc.My husband sleeps like a log and just tells me to relax which doesn’t help! I’ve also tried everything but seem incapable of relaxing .Yes it does make you feel desperate I don’t even want to go on the holiday my husband has booked as I’m already worried I won’t sleep. I don’t know what else to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.