Anxiety acid reflux

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this I have been having what appears to be acid reflux I have been trying to squeeze out burps when I eat been have shortness of breath like the feelings can't take a bi breath and feel as if food isn't traveling to stomach I'm real I worried it's something serious I'm a 24 male little over weight so might be that could anyone please tell me off you've had any of these experience

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Andrew, when my anxiety first started i had a horrible stomach ache for days. Constant burps and feeling full in the throat. My doc told me it was from the anxiety and it would pass. It took about 2 weeks for the stomach ache to go away and the same for the burps. Not sure if yours is the dame as mine or if you maybe have other digestive issues. Now my stomach is only sore in the mornings when i am having a bad anxiety day. Good luck to you and hope you find relief soon! Xx
    • Posted

Am not getting stomach aches I'm just getting like the feeling something stuck in throat and when I burp as if stuff could come up I'm forcing my burps dunno if it could be acid reflux
    • Posted

Hi Andrew. My daughter is 24 and she suffers from anxiety and OCD. She experiences the same exact thing. She hits her chest, feels like she can't burp, gets tightness in throat. She has IBS too from the anxiety. The more research I do, the more I come to realize, anxiety takes its toll on your digestive tract, big time. It's not uncommon. Try not to lie down or sleep for at least sign hour after eating or taking medicine. Try to eat slowly and chew well. Stress is terrible and I feel for you. Hope this helps a little.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying just worried invade is something g serious like esphgorael cancer or something because I've put my symptoms on google lol xx
    • Posted

Awwwe, you sound just like my daughter. Don't look that stuff up, everything is worst case scenario. Stress and anxiety is real. Your brain is thinking there is a real threat. Your body, reacts and responds.accordingly. The expression- I had a "lump in my throat" Your esophagus tightens when your nervous. Try deep breathing exercises to release some of the anxiety.
  • Posted

Hi,

I get the same sometimes if I see saw my shoulders one up one down and alternate quickly this brings the wind up relieving the pressure. Other times it feels suffocating like the wind has blown my chest up I need to burp and can't and feel more anxious with the pressure in my chest.

I was recommended windeaze tablets by my GP they are over the counter and really help dissipate the wind swelling in the upper chest. It's anxiety related as it messes with you digestion and can cause IBS.

Best of luck

• Posted

I'm going thru the same thing right now. Went to the dr for a cold. She gave me Meds and the next week I started the feeling of a lump in my throat burping and constantly clearing my throat went back because I was worried something else was wrong and she said I had acid reflux and put me on medicine. Medicine made me much sicker. I got to thinking that I hadn't ha to use antacids so how could I have acid reflux. Look up my symptoms and realized that I was having anxiety again. It has been 5 years since I was this sick and it is scary. I try to calm my self down by closing my kind off by building imaginary houses in my head. Sound crazy, but when I was at my sickest it seemed to give my mind something else to think about besides not being able to swallow. So now I'm doing it again. I feel for you. I've lost 7 lbs this last week because I'm unable to eat very much. Just trying to get thru it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.