Anxiety after remeron

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone ever felt like they picked up new anxiety issues or phobias after taking Remeron?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Johan - earlier in the year i stopped taking Mirtazapin (Remeron) while my GP tried me on Sertraline and i did have some vivid and violent dreams, plus any stimuli (visual and audio) seemed stronger - i dont know if this was due to coming off the Mirtazapin or if it was the new medication but ithose few weeks arent a time i'd like to revisit.
  • Posted

Hi Johan,

Yes when I went off Remeron, my anxiety sky rocketed...it was immense and not my usual. Also while I was going down on the medicine I was having panic attacks about driving on certain roads which is nothing like me as I drove for so many years living in Chicago and never bothered me at all.

I went off the remeron about 2 months ago and it was all to much so I jumped back on after 3 weeks. Everything resolved itself....except I'm still stuck on this medication that causes leg cramps.

im hoping next time I try to go off, during vacation, ....it will not be as bad and that it will go away. I think three weeks of withdrawal is far to much and this medication should come with a warning. All the doctor I speak with don't get it but then again they would never take this medication....please keep me updated on how long you have been off the remeron and that you are feeling better.

good luck!

• Posted

Hi Rose,  the crazy thing about it is that i dont take the medication on a daily basis. I have only been using the medication as a sleep aid. For about a year now. I use it sparringly at a relativley low dose. The doses i take are normally around 3.75 mg and sometimes i take a quarter of that. Which i think is a very low dose but it tends to work. I try to stay on low doses and take it only 3 or 4 times a week because i dont want my body to get use to taking it. But for some reason if i dont take it for a few days lets say 3-4 days. It seems like all hell breaks loose lol. My insomnia and anxiety reaches unbearble levels. Most of my anxiety comes out at night because i have sleep anxiety. Which is terrible because it leads to horrible sleeping patterns. I started taking remeron because i was trying to get off sleeping pills but now i realize that these anti deppressants might actually be worse. I am also starting to wonder whether its ok to be taking them sparringly. Even though the pharmacist and doctors say yes.
  • Posted

Hi...

I'm not sure about taking it every now and then because I have never read about this but I think the doctors and pharm would know. I remember skipping nights and it didn't seem to bother me. From what I gather getting off from the remeron can last a few months for some.

how long have you been off of it?

i wish you the best

• Posted

Well this time around i was off of it for only a few days. I had to go back on it because i started having issues with my sleep. There were times when i would take for about a week and then i would go about 5 or 6 days without it. But then i would have the same problem again. I guess i was able to go so many days without it because it started to build up in my system from. I plan on going back on the lowest dose possible and then try to wean myself off completely after about a week. If that doesnt work then i will just have to go and see my doctor.  
  • Posted

Yes I agree going to the doctor may help. I don't know if you are adverse to getting on a sleeping pill that is much easier to drop than the remeron. My doctor just gave me Xanax to help me get through this and although I don't sleep 8 hours, I do get about six and it makes for a much better day I know I'll have to drop the Xanax at some point too but I was on it before and it was easy for me to drop with weaning, no problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.