Anxiety after stopping the pill.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hiya ladies; I’m looking for some advise. I’m 24 years old and had been on contraception for probably around 10 years (implant/pills). I never had any problems before I went on contraception and I never had any problems when I was taking contraception (a lil moodiness on some pills). I stopped all contraception early last year and a month later I found myself being signed off work with severe anxiety, panic attacks, constant crying, dizziness, sore eyes, headaches and the list goes on, I had never been so poorly, I honestly thought I was screwed for life. I was unable to function daily, it felt like my body was on a huge rush inside (the best way I can describe it) and I knew straight away it was caused my coming of contraception and was something to do with my hormones; however it took 3 doctors before I seen a lady doctor who told me “it definitely sounds like your hormones”, no surprise to me but it felt good hearing her say it. The first month it started it went on ALL MONTH, everyday however I slowly started to have some good days. To begin with I struggled to see a pattern however I did notice I was a lot worst the week after my period stopped some months. I’m now taking citalopram (20mg) daily which has helped massively although I hate the thought of being on them and I would like to slowly get myself down to 10mg. Now I’m taking these tablets I have started to notice a pattern the past 3/4 months, I now only experience these symptoms around my period and I’m my old normal happy self during ovulation!! I don’t know what I’m expecting people to say but I want some answers... has anyone experienced something similar when coming off contraception??? Today I took half of my tablet and I am hoping to do this every other day and see how I go... I want to try for a baby in the next couple of years and being on citalopram really worries me. Doctors have really been no help what so ever other than chucking me on meds. Thank you ladies and sorry to go on!

I have considered PMS/PMDD but I’m not sure as some months it’s before my period, some months after and this month just during my period. HELP 🥺

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.