Skip to content

Contraception

Also known as Combined Oral Contraceptives (COC), Condoms, Diaphragms and Caps, Emergency Contraception, Intrauterine Device/System, Mini-pill, Mirena, Morning After Pill, Nexplanon, Norethisterone contraceptive injection, Noristerat

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Mirena coil caused acne, what contraception should I try next?

So, cutting a long story short(er) here, any questions you have I am happy to elaborate further on. I got a mirena coil fitted in October 2017, loved it with no problems at all, other than acne, because of which I had it removed this week after 7 months. Prior to this I was on Yasmin (combined pill)...

Posted
  • Lo Loestrin-increased anxiety?

Anyone get increased anxiety starting birth c? Prob unrelated, but I’m on day three of a low dose birth c to ironically help regulate my hormones and I’m super anxious and nervous. 10 weeks postpartum. My doc recommended bc over the mirena to help with hormones. Thanks!

Posted
  • IUD replacement

Hello everyone..  I had a skyla IUD for 3 years and had no period/spotting at all! I just had my IUD replaced almost 4 weeks ago now. I had some light spotting for the first two days, then it was gone.  About 17 days after replacing the IUD, I had unprotected sex. But I freaked out a little...

Posted
  • Experience with Copper IUD

Hey, so I posted a thread about this a little while ago but have had no responses so I thought I'd post a more summarised thread that people might be bothered to read in the hopes of getting some advice  Here's the fuller thread if anyone is interested in the details: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/swapping-hormonal-ius-for-non-hormonal-iud--634699...

Last reply
  • The depo Provera injection...what should I try next?

Today I booked myself in for my 4th or 5th depo Provera injection, however I’ve just read a Facebook post about a girl who has been on it for 2 years. She suffers with bad stretch marks, has been diagnosed with depression as sometimes she is so drained that she cannot be bothered to get out of bed, bad...

Last reply
  • Citalopram + Cerelle - cause of loss of libido?

Hi, I am currently on 20mg Citalopram for anxiety and until 3 weeks ago was also on Cerelle (mini-pill) for contraception. I recently came off Cerelle as believed it was the cause of my loss of libido but 3 weeks on I don't feel any different. I came off Citalopram at Christmas for a few months and...

Posted
  • Is it reasonable when using vibrators during pregnancy ?

Hello all, After marriage, we have been using vibrators to show our sex. A year later, we went to hospital to see if my wife is during pregnancy. At that moment, my wife and i was told that we would have a baby soon. The we were so pleased to express our emotions. I know this topic is very out of the...

Last reply
  • Mirena coil - hormonal changes

Hi all,  I’ve had my Mirena in for coming up to a year. I had an op 6 months ago to remove a large amount of endometriosis, so I feel like up until the last 3 months I have had lots going on and haven’t been able to properly see how I’m getting on with the mirena. I’ve noticed over the last two...

Posted
  • Cerazette vs generic

I went to the gp today to get cerazette after doing days of reading on it and finally convincing myself that I would give it a try. Before that I read that people who were doing well on cerazette were given cerelle and it messed them up. So I made sure to tell my dr I want cerazette not cerelle, she...

Last reply
  • I had unprotected sex. What should I do?

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on 23rd of this month. It was not penetrative though and he neither ejaculated but I am not sure about the pre cum. He couldn't penetrate through me. We both were doing it for the first time. I took a pill of unwanted 72 today, that is, 27th of this month....

Last reply
  • Bad Side Effects!

Hello, I just got the Mirena IUD on May 5, 2018 . This was after a week of having a non-surgical abortion. It's been almost a week with the Mirena and I'm already experiencing a lot of the side effects. I have severe headaches, half of my left body is numb most of the time, my left leg keeps...

Posted
  • Excessive bleeding with nexplanon implant, what should I do?

I got my nexplanon implant last September, i had a small amount of bleeding for a few weeks afterwards, but this soon stopped and I was really happy with how I was getting on, I hadn't been getting any periods at all. I got my period then again in January for a few days, a heavy period, not just...

Last reply
  • Copper Coil Nova T380 - Need some information

Hey, ​I just recently had the Nova T380 (non-hormonal copper coil) fitted 2 days ago (8/5/2018) and I was just wondering if my symptoms are normal and whether you guys are experiencing what I am going through just to put my mind at ease (I panic over the littlest of things concerning my health so...

Posted
  • IUD Non-hormonal Copper Coil Side Effects?

Hi everyone, I'm 34, no children, had a T-Safe copper coil fitted about 7 months ago after taking COC for almost 6 years (Dianette, Cerazette, Yasmin). I had no problem with the coil, just slight discomfort and spotting after insertion and heavier and longer periods which doesn't bother me, at...

Last reply
  • prolonged period after contraceptive injection

when my baby was 10 weeks old my doctor advised i use the contraceptive injection as i cant take the pill because history of DVT. a week and half after having the injection i started having a period even after being told my period may stop this period lasted to weeks, i then had a week free from periods...

Last reply
  • No period? Light brown stuff?

Hi, for the past 3 Years now I have been on the implant and recently got it removed a month ago, I let my body rest for abit and me and my partner tried for a baby. Didn’t achieve, but I decided to go on the desomono pill.  I haven’t had a proper period since last year September 2017,  like...

Posted
  • Desomono pill

Hi so I’ve been on the desomo pill for nearly a month now and the first week was fine then the 2nd week I was just feeling awful.  I have dealt with depression before and overcome it, I would occasionally get sad and stuff but I think I was past that point. Anyway I started noticing in the 2nd week...

Posted
  • desogestrel v noretjisterone

Hi i am a 44 yr old woman had my daughter 13 years ago have always been on the combined pill loestrin 20 until april 2017 when i was advised due to high blood pressure and age to come off it.  My bp isn't high enough to be treated.  for 6 months after coming off it i didn't have any...

Posted
  • Birth control making cramps worse?

Ever since I started my period at around 14, I’ve had super bad menstrual cramps. I’m 17 now and over the years they just keep getting worse and worse. I’ll take all the OTC pain medicine I can even starting a week before I’ll get my period, and it doesn’t help. The heating pad doesn’t help either, and...

Posted
  • Stopping Birth Control Pill. Yes or no?

Really thinking about stopping my birth control pill. I’ve been on it every since I’ve had my period (I’m 20 years old). I love that it regulates my period but I’m such a crying hormonal wreck the past year almost. I’ve tried switching BC and none of them are helping the random crying and agitation....

Posted
  • Mirena IUD Removal

Hi Ladies, After 5 years and 7 months I’m booked in now to have my Mirena IUD removed on the 24th of Feb. A bit of background, I’m currently 34 years old, Single, have no children and never been pregnant. I have a top OBGYN, after many years and many problems I had the IUD inserted via a laparoscopy...

Last reply
  • Will a broken/bent implant increase chance of pregnancy?

My implant feels bent, and maybe even broken. It's quite deep so hard to tell. I will of course get it changed but does anyone know if this increases chance of pregnancy? I've seen differing opinions online and don't know who to believe! I'm mostly just curuius but if a surprise baby...

Posted
  • Contraceptive nightmare ... desperately need help!

Hello! I am SO SO hoping someone has had this experience as I’m at my end with it and doctors can’t even help me now .. I went on Northisterone for 3 months only last summer, I was fine on it until about the 3 month mark where I developed severe black cloud head/depression/fatigue .. it was awful and...

Posted
  • Combined pill and diarrhoea

Hi, I had two bouts of kind of watery diarrhoea yesterday morning, then took Imodium, THEN took my contraceptive pill. I had sex in the evening and this morning. Today I took my pill at 7.30am and then has two bouts of diarrhoea at 3 and 4pm. Did I do something wrong? We’re both pills absorbed? Do I...

Posted
  • Copper coil / IUD insertion review 2015

I feel there is an unfair amount of negative reviews of coil insertions online. I had mine fitted two days ago now, but the week leading to my appointment I was torturing myself by reading every insertion review and account, especially of those childless. So come the fitting, I was extremely nervous...

Last reply
  • Desomono/desogestrel

Hi,  So i had the implant and I had it taken out, now I am going on the desomono pill. Can anyone tell me what their experience has been like on this pill, if you have taken it? I know it’s different for everyone but I would just like to know any big side effects or what your opinion is on it. ...

Last reply
  • Depo-Provera question?

So I gave birth January 2nd of this year and 5 days postpartum I got the Depo shot and since then (besides the postpartum bleeding which only lasted 3 weeks) I’ve not had a period. Is this normal? I’ve had two shots total. 

Posted
  • Stopping Depo and Desperate

Depo Provera was like a poison when I was on it. I was on it for six months. It should've been only three, but I was persuaded to get a second dose by the doctor, who assured me the side effects would go away after the second dose. They didn't. I'm now two months without it. I thought I had...

Last reply
  • Spotting on the pill

I’ve started the Rigevidon pill two weeks ago and I’m still producing heavy, dark red and brown spotting everyday. Initially I wasn’t having any cramps on it, but now they’re increasingly bad. I’m not sure whether to stick with it to wait for my body to adjust or change to another pill? Can anyone help?...

Posted
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.