struggling with contraception

Posted , 3 users are following.

i’m really struggling to find a solution… i have taken and been using 4 different types of different contraceptives for the past 4 years. i have tried the pill, implant, injection and coil.. due to migraines i cannot have any contraception with combined hormones. seeing a sexual health nurse on in off for years and having scans to determine why i constantly bleed, have lost hair, have gained weight, have trouble sleeping, low sex drive, acne etc

i know many of these symptoms can happen due to the first time taking the medication or having it fitted but it’s never been any better. i was told today i could have a Progesterone problem either being the contraceptions making my levels lower or higher causing all these symptoms i have experienced in four years.. i’d really like to know if anyone knows or has experienced problems with Progesterone levels affecting there body, google can only tell you so much.. am hoping to receive a blood test from the doctors to determine 100% what it is.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

have you tried the copper coil? its completely hormone free.

• Posted

I'm sorry you're dealing with these issues. Hopefully they've gotten something figured out for you and it's gotten better.

I haven't had progesterone based issues, but I do get monthly migraines from the natural hormone fluctuation that takes place during periods (even when I was on birth control). It's awful, especially since the pain med that helped the most happens to kill my stomach, so I have to try and take gentler ones ahead of time, before the headaches get that bad, and stay on top of taking them for those few days or else I'm just in agony for days. I was on a kind once that prevented periods for two months in a row and then you'd have one every third month, which sometimes prevented headaches (or as severe) during the two off months but not always.

I took birth control for almost my entire teen/adult life so far, but I did get off of them a year or so ago. I found that the hormones in them had some negative psychological/emotional effects on me, which was hard to tell that they were from that when I'd been on them for so long, but being off of them made a difference.

Hormones can definitely impact you. I know someone who had her testosterone levels rocket when she got off of birth control for the first time and it caused a ton of issues and bad acne. She went back on bc, got better, and then got off again and that time it worked out fine.

Have you tried not being on contraceptives at all? Does that make a difference? Hopefully they can check your bloodwork and see what's going on. Then, if you stop and/or try another, they could check again and see how different things affect your levels.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.