Mirena Coil Pre fitting Advice please

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

I tried to ask my surgery what I need to do to prepare for a coil fitting in six days time. I’m sure they were meant to send me some details. However I’ve not had anything. I was signposted to come here but I haven’t found any information on the pre-prepared documents. I’m about to have my first fitting of a coil, I am 46 years old. It will be for HRT and contraceptive purposes. I have never had any children and I do not have any periods at this moment in time due to taking the mini pill. also, I am perimenopausal which is why I’m taking the HRT and the coil is meant to be the best form of progesterine for balancing out the oestrogen patches. Can anyone give me advice on what I should do prior to attending the appointment. I have read elswhere on the many differing bits of information on the internet that I should take some form of pain relief like ibuprofen about half an hour to an hour before the appointment?

I have also heard that I should have something to eat in case I feel faint I don’t know how true that is. Also, there is conflicting information about whether I can drive to the appointment and back. I think this might have something to do with if I feel faint? I have the rest of the day off after the morning appointment. Is there any truth in what I’ve listed above or is there anything else I need to know about before having this done, I’ve not been told about abstaining from sex but I am anyway and also will I be given a pregnancy test at the doctors? only because it mentions that it must be sure that I'm not pregnant Any help would be gratefully received any hints or tips to make sure that this is a smooth process. Thank you

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.