Anxiety after weekend away

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had my anxiety pretty much under control for a while. However, I just came

back from a weekend away with my sister in law and our 2 kids. Her child behaved terrible and it was not an enjoyable time, like for real. I just got back today and had the worst anxiety attack i've had in a while. Weird sensations in my head and the feeling of having to escape while out to dinner. Thinking because it was such a stressful weekend? Any thoughts to easy my mind! I know it's just anxiety but is it an after effect of the weekend i've had? Thanks for your input!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You might have pent up feelings about the misbehaving child and need an outlet for your feelings. You've learned from this and won't put yourself in a similar situation

• Posted

What you probably experienced is sensory overload. Many with anxiety disorders have very sensitive senses and they can overload easily and even  process stimulation in the enviornment wrong.  This is part of having a anxiety disorder right? You know there are times im walking a busy street, and i was fine when my walk started and then BOOM i start getting an anxiety attack. Why? I dont know these people, everything seems fine but i do know why because for whatever reason this disorder decieded to cast upon somekind of sensory disorder that my mind/body decieded it was in overload and then start the attack. Going away with your sister and her child is a lovely idea but its a lot. You have your ways of raising kids and whats exceptable behavior and she has hers. And you are dealing also with your sister in all this. Probably having some angry thoughts at her as well. So yes by the time you got home your nerves were frazzled and over sensitized and overloaded so yes i can see how it would trigger a panic attack. Also you are probably now battleing should you say something or not, this is your nephew and you have ill feeling towards him too now, also creates a conflict and some guilt  inside you and then that adds more stress. So understand a lot of thinking and senses overloading occured and this is how you currently coped. Luckily you have time now to unwind and self calm. Maybe just take organized day trips in the future. You want to be able to have the close family unit too.
    • Posted

yes, doesn't help that my sis in law is going through a nasty divorce and the ex made her cry all weekend, just a bad overall experience thanks for your kind words!

• Posted

Lisa has words of wisdom stick to short day trips in the future.

Your sister-in-law probably came home feeling much better and you came home drained frazzled and stressed. If she cried all weekend then you must be emotionallly drained and tired too. Not an enviroment for children either.

If you suffer from anxiety do not put yourself in situations that will set it off. Your priority is to yourself and your child. Your child and your own happiness is paramount. You cannot sort out your sister-in laws divorce only she can do it. So keep visits short and make sure you go to public areas. If her child behaves badly and is not told off then your child will begin to question this and it may well affect their behaviour, in turn giving you more problems. If this happens then you are going to have to rethink visits and say something

• Posted

tell me about it! if i had known it was going to be like that I never would have went! thanks so much, it definitely triggered my anxiety
  • Posted

Hate the anxiety attack/panic to where you have the need to run. Then it's a slippery slope. Just hope that you get over it, and back on track. I was never able to do that. Mine would go on, and on. If it doesn't go away, then maybe a doctor call is in order. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.