Anxiety agorophobia, or depression or all 3? Confused

Posted , 9 users are following.

My GP comfirmed i had anxiety about 6 months and recommended cbt, unable to wait patiently for 8 month waiting list i tried a private therapist. Nlp, tft and a bit of cbt left me none the better. My anxiety actually feels like its got worse. My fear is fear of fainting in public. I hardly ever leave house apart from a wee walk with my partner when he comes home. I rely on online shopping. I have made and failed to keep appts with GP. From what ive read medication will only mask the anxiety. So im afraid to try it. So i feel really stuck...frustrated.....at home...any suggestions please? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

8 month wow I have to wait 5 week I thought that was bad try hypnosis help me through a ruff patch it's on you tube  it relaxes you so good it's called hypnosis for anxiety and panic use headphones tho its best you have to do if for a good few weeks will help let me know how it helps you try it every day for a week 
    • Posted

Hi Paul thanks do u have the link for it? There are quite a few when you type that into youtube
  • Posted

Have you tried the nhs online CBT therapy - 'fear-fighter' ?

I found it helped enormously 

• Posted

Thanks ive emailed them now to ask if free in my local authority otherwise i have to buy it, thanks again
  • Posted

Hello

I can relate to what you are saying as recently I was diagnosed with having panic attack disorder with agoraphobia.

I was having various symptoms for over 2 years and only in May did my gp start acting on what I was saying.

Like you I am scared about passing out in public (have only ever fainted once) and I get myself so worked up when I don't feel well.

I think I have health anxiety too but my family and friends will probably say I'm a hypocontriac.

I too do shopping online and if I need to go into a shop I need to do it as a spare of a moment thing, rather than plan it as it makes my anxiety even worse.

I am due to have CBT therapy to see if that helps as I don't want to rely on the tablets I've been prescribed - fluoxetine, propanonol and another one which I can't think of the name.

I will try the hypnosis too as anything to help will be greatly received and appreciated.

I am such a different person to who I was last year and it really has impacted on my life in a big way.

I hope things work out for you.

• Posted

Hi tinytitch thanks i didnt realise there were so many people all feeling similar and struggling. I know it feel self indulgent thinking about it a lot, its like picking at a scab you know you shouldnt but you cant help yourself. We are not hypochondriacs. Im gona try the hypnosis i tried Paul Mckenna before his voice is creepy. Good luck and take care
  • Posted

I'm thinking of getting a Me-Mover, designed in Copenhagen, it's a self powered machine that gets you places on your own, I ride a good road bicycle, and do weight training, all of these things make me feel great. Later today I'm going to do an arm routine at the gym, then I'll do some abs, later I'll feel the endorphins kick in, it's so relaxing.

Or I can anticipate the next time I'll panic because I can never forget all of the panic attacks I've had in the past because it's always in the back of my mind.

My choice is not the latter, makes me feel good about myself.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice trikkerguy, perhaps when im not in anxiety hell, i will have the confidence you have. I do agree exercise is great medicine we have to exercise our bodies and minds. Hope the me mover is good for you. 
    • Posted

Just got back from working out, rode my bicycle home, not far, only about 7 miles. But it's so hot in Florida this time of the year, the wind helped as I spinned the crank, spinning, moving, felt good being outside, not thinking about me and my body, instead I used it, maybe a little too much, I used heavier weights, more sets, and reps. I think thats better than concentrating on imagined B movie horror stories. 
  • Posted

Hi, just an idea but ive used stop panic&anxiety hypnosis cd by Thomas Hall on you tube and find that rather good I have actually fallen asleep a couple of times listening to him which as I have sleep problems I find great, take care
    • Posted

I use that it has helped me over come panic attacks I haven't had 1 since very helpful
    • Posted

Thats great that you haven't had 1 since listening to it, it works 4 me in as much as it relaxes me when I feel like im going 2 loose the plot I have been listening 2 it every day 4 almost a week and find the more I listen 2 it the better the effect it has on me isnt it great how something so simple csn have such a positive effect on us, take care smile
  • Posted

Hi Grace...I found the Bach flower remedies Cherry Plum and Rock Rose combined are excellent ..for extreme anxiety,panic etc....HappyNew Year....it can be!
  • Posted

Hi Grace, meds don't "mask" anxiety they stop, or mitigate the anxiety however it gives you an opportunity to start to tackle the cause of your anxiety and at the same time slowly replace the meds with your own coping strategies or get through your agoraphobia through slowly exposing you to going out, this is usually done with the help of a therapist who is an expert in the condition rather than general anxiety and depression etc.

With a proper care plan which includes meds AND the right therapy you can beat this! 

Neil 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.