Anxiety ALS scare

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 20 years old Male 5"9 3/4 - 5"10 190 - 205 pounds.

I have weird muscle twitches all over my body back, shoulder, thigh, calf, upper arm, forearm, and even some in my hands and feet. Tense muscles specifically in my arms and my calf of both legs. Weird feeling in my hands that I can't explain. Slightly stiff neck and head. A slight feeling of weakness in my hands. Tension in my calf when I lift my foot towards my shin. And slight lower and upper back pain. Persistence pain in my thighs specifically in the morning and in the evening. Trouble falling asleep. I keep thinking it's ALS or something and I am seriously freaking out.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

stress can do this. I used to get much of that and burning sensations too.

if you entertain yourself. i.e have a good conversation where you laugh with a friend do the symptoms go away? I bet they do.

That's stress and anxiety. Adrenaline and hormones roaming around your system with no focus or reason to be there.

• Posted

But then they come back and it starts all over again. Also it sometimes hurts to walk up stairs and up hills.

• Edited

underlying stress. i have mine under control somewhat but it flares up from time to time every few days.. i’ve resigned myself to the fact that it’s going to take awhile to get rid of it. gyms are reopening on April 12, so ive set a strict daily workout routine as my target to really get over it.

look at it this way, if the symptoms go away when you allow yourself to relax it isn’t physiological. serious medical problem wouldn’t go away No matter what, at least that’s what a doctor told me to put it in perspective.

• Edited

i’m going to tell you something that will relieve your mind. I was getting the same twitches all over for a very long time. This started in my mid-20s. I thought the same thing you are thinking. I was terrified. I also had weird feelings all over my body that are hard to explain. And also a strange feeling in my thigh that was scaring me.

I went to see a top rated neurologist

Who told me that ALS is NOT a sensory disease. In other words you’re not going to feel twitches, or tension or pain. by just him saying that, the weird feeling in my thigh was gone by the time I got home.

He told me that the twitches are called benign fasciculation’s meaning they are common and not going to hurt you in anyway. In fact he told me that athletes get them all the time with how they use their muscles.

I also wanted to tell you that I am now in my 50s and I am still here! So they obviously were harmless and actually when I am anxious I still get some from time to time. I basically ignore them and they go away.

so I hope this helps to relieve your mind!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.