Anxiety and 3 hours sleep

Posted , 9 users are following.

Sorry I keep posting. But recently I have not been getting much sleep because of anxiety. I only had 3 hours sleep last night went to bed at 3 and woke up at 7.is this dangerous???

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom, have you discussed this with your GP?  It would be dangerous if you were to try to drive or 'operate machinery' as they say on some drug boxes.

I'm sure your GP can help you & the more you worry about it, the worse you will become, so go & see him/her

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. And sorry by dangers I mean by not getting enough sleep I wouldn't die in my sleep would I or anything like that

• Posted

Sleep's been a big problem for me for about 5 years now. I used to have similar worries, but you can survive a long time without sleeping. I know of people who only have 4 hours sleep a night, and it's normal for them.

It's always good to talk to your doctor, but 3 hours a night won't kill ya, you just may not function very well during the day...

• Posted

Thank you ever so much. You've put my mind at ease

• Posted

Hi tom

Ive suffered with lack of sleep for years. I do suffer with anxiety and used to use alcohol to deal with it and help me sleep.

Despite taking sleeping tablets, if I have four hours sleep a night, I’ve had a good night. Some nights I don’t sleep at all

Dont worry, nobody ever died from lack of sleep. A dr told me that years ago and I’m still here.

• Posted

Hello Tom  Anxiety is no fun, can you find someone or a group to talk to

about what is the cause of this sleep depriving problem ? In the past I lost sleep because my mind was busy with work, family, money, etc.

but the things on my mind never came true. Remember "life is good"

alpine

• Posted

Hi Tom

Stop worrying! I’ve not slept well for 20 yrs. it can make you feel rough but won’t kill you! When I went to my GP about it he wasn’t that helpful just said that sleeping never killed anyone!! He obviously doesn’t have the anxiety associated with not being able to sleep. 

I get anxious about it too but find the more I worry the worse it is. Some nights I don’t sleep at all.

• Posted

Hi Angela

perhaps we have the same doctor!

I would love to go to bed, turn off the light, snuggle down and go to sleep. Millions of people world wide do it, it’s just normal behaviour. So why can’t I?

Like you I don’t sleep at all some nights. Years ago I’d get more and more anxious as the day went on, panicking about not sleeping. Now I’ve learnt to accept it. Thankfully I don’t work, so I don’t have that worry.

• Posted

I feel and think the same. This anxiety of not sleeping has run most of my life. I feel like an outcast and no one can understand it, even the doctors. Well good luck with this fight.
    • Posted

Hi Vicky

That sounds so similar! I don’t work either so I tell myself well it doesn’t matter what time I get up . I know what you mean I fret and panic in the day that I’m not going to be able to sleep and think I just can’t go another day with no sleep! Now I’m not working the pressure is off a bit but it would be bliss to just lay my head on the pillow and wake in the morning !!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.