Anxiety and Anemia

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have really bad anxiety, which i assume is associated with my anemia. i have read this online before. Im currently on iron supplements and im wondering.... once the anemia gets better will my anxiety go away?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you are suffering from Anemia. I had Anemia last year. Lots of lousy symptoms. Extra fatigue. Sleep doesn't seem to help. Light headed a dizzy, awful. Lastly, anxiety. My M.D. put me on a low dose of the non habit forming meds. Did wonders. I eventually had my severely enlarged spleen removed. That did the trick. I felt much better within days of the surgery and my hemoglobin is now normal. Find out why you are.anemic. There is a reason!

• Posted

Yes, anxiety can be linked to severe anemia. I had extremely low levels of iron last year and developed terrible anxiety and low mood. I was not able to take prescription iron and ended up having an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Nothing apart from a hiatal hernia found and eventual conclusion was heavy, fibroid linked periods. Dr put me on a low dose of anxiety meds and I started taking iron water and iron tablets. A year later and I'm back to my old self, with near normal iron levels and no fatigue or anxiety! So don't worry, see your gp and keep taking the iron; it can take quite a few months to improve.

• Posted

I have severe anemia and my chest is hurting so much they put me on an ECG at the weekend but all was ok but said it must be anxiety. It feels as though something heavy is on my chest all the time. Is that how you feel?

• Posted

kind of. when i have my anxiety attacks i definetly have chest tightness. when its just normal though, im just really shaky and im so stressed and worried about everything. its just not going away

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.