Anxiety and citalopram

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I've been on citalopram for just over 3 weeks now and had terrible side effects, nausea and increased anxiety being the worst. Now I'd say the constant nausea is linked to my anxiety rather than the citalopram. However, my anxiety is terrible as soon as I become conscious in a morning. It's constant not like a wave of panic, then it goes to my tummy and I feel awfully sick,, usually end up wretching. By late afternoon and the evening I do start to feel better, but getting to that point is so hard. The dr says it can take a number of weeks for the citalopram to start working and says cbt is the best thing for anxiety, problem being it takes weeks for a referral.

I've lost loads of weight cause I can't eat and I'm just so fed up. Surely I should be starting to feel some benifits soon?

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Hang in there, you need to hit that 4-6 week mark for everything to settle down, I know its tough. You need to eat this is most important, even if it's shakes and toast, I can't stress how important food and water is.

Also try some walks and meditation.

• Posted

Hi jo thanks. I'm doing meditation, reading self help books, seen a private counsellor and today I'm going for acupuncture ! Just wish I didn't feel so nauseous all the time sad

Everyday is so long just want to get through it x

• Posted

Your doing all the right things, good on you.

I know its so hard right now, but it will get better I promise.

Keep us updated.

• Posted

I feel your pain Victoria. I also had a really hard time getting on citalopram. All you report is very familiar.

Hang in there. It really should get better soon. I found I gradually started to feel better in the day earlier and earlier and at least when you do feel better you get a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel.

In the meantime you could ask your dr for some diazepam. I took a very low dose (2mg) for a very short term till the meds kicked in and that really helped me.

• Posted

I agree abt the diaz or ask ur doc for an anti sickness med for a while took me ages 6 plu wks to settle down
  • Posted

Citalopram can take 6-8 weeks to work and for the side effects to wear off, some of them are not nice but once they have worn off the tablets do work, so my best advice would be to keep taking them.
  • Posted

Also i switched from taking them in the moring to taking them at night and i find this also helps/

• Posted

Hi Dawn I am half way through week 2.

The first week was so bad I was a mess, feel half normal now.

Still can not eat much feel full and still that sick feeling in my stomach.

Hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Those feeling do pass eventually stick with the cit it will work.
  • Posted

I am experiencing the same as you Victoria, not panic attacks but constant gut wrenching anxiety but the nausea is just a bit in the background now.

I take my citalopram about 8-9pm but then I keep waking up from anywhere between 1-2am and then every hour. This makes the anxiety worse cause I'm over tired and also cause I'm laid there not being able to sleep - any ideas anyone? Gp has given me zopiclone but they don't seem to make a difference

• Posted

hi,

it helped me by geting half dose in the morning and half in the evening.

for the anxiety ,I was taking 2.5 mg of diazepam ,and for the nausea cilroton before the meals.

this scheme lasted for three weeks ,and then I did not need the diazepam /cilroton since the 20 mg of cit was working nicely.

my problem was burn out from high anxiety in work!

• Posted

Hi kostas

Yeah I've had a lot of stressful events this year which has now caused an anxiety problem which I didn't have before!

Can I ask what dose you are on and whether splitting it has reduced your anxiety levels? I am finding the anxiety really tough to deal with, makes me want to quit but I'm 16 days in now so will keep going.

Also how often did you take the diazepam and what time of day was your stress at its worst?

I'm on 10mg but really couldn't cope with more !

• Posted

Yes ,spliting had reduced my anxiety level!

and was getting the diazepam in the evening.

conce

• Posted

sorry but my inernet connection in Athens Greece today ,is very bad!

I was taking 10 mg cit in the morning and 10 in the evening.

started with 10 mg for 2 weeks ,and then went up to 20 for 3 years.

has stopped taking it now,and for 4 years I am feeling fine.

• Posted

Hi Gerrymoo...

I am on citalopram 20mg in morning and 20mg lunch time..i have no side effects exept waking up at either 1:00 or 3.00 or 5:00 i am very hyper during the day but battel to sleep throug!! The doc gave gave gave me adco zolpidem 15mg at night and even with this i was up at 5.00 am today...im on citalopram 40 mg for 3 months already...just wonder how long other users are on them aswell if they have these problems aswell?

All best of luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.