Anxiety and citalopram, desperate

Posted , 9 users are following.

I’ve suffered with anxiety since I had my daughter 8 years ago but a lot of those years I’ve had a good anxiety free time because I was on citalopram. Last year the doctors told me to try giving it up gradually which I did, but later in the year the anxiety started to creep back in, I asked the doctors for the citalopram back but instead they gave me mirtazipine which helped me sleep but I still had anxiety during the day. So I went back to the doctors and they switched the mirtazipine for 10 mg of citalopram but I started to get worse. Last Friday they upped the citalopram to 20mg but the anxiety has gone through the roof with frequent panic attacks and agitation, I just can’t relax or keep food down. Please can anyone tell me if I will get better on the citalopram as I’m feeling so desperate, I just can’t go on like this.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

These are side effects of the increased dose, I had the very same thing I was very anxious and being violently sick for about 2 and half weeks. These side effects will disappear. The doctor prescribed me some diazepam until the side effects disappeared and this really did help with the anxiety and I was able to relax
  • Posted

Hi Gemma this is definately side affects u will get there believe me x Ask your doc for 10mg propronol which u take 3 times a day which helps with the physical side affects i couldnt take diazepan x i took the pro when at my worse and on the 4th week didnt need them anymore
    • Posted

I do have 10 mg of propanol from a while ago so I might start introducing that when the diazepam runs out. Thank you for your advice it really helps. I just need the 20 mg of citalopram to work so I can get back on track x
  • Posted

I'm 3 and a half weeks in on 20mg and I'm still struggling did 9 days at 10mg think I upped mine too soon doctors would only give me propnal to help I could do with something stronger I just want to see the light at the end of the tunnel

• Posted

If you don't let one dose to at least 3months in your system ..you will never know if a lower dose would of work..which more than like will..I recovered on ten milligrams..

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I really feel where you are at. I’m on 10mg for 12 days and my anxiety today is terrible. Feel depressed and hopeless because of it. Mind is at 100 miles an hour and I feel ok the verge of panic attacks. 

I’m losing hope and can’t go in like this. Also thinking of upping to 20 but scared to go through more side effects but I don’t feel this 10mg is working. 

I used to be on 20mg and even 30mg at one point. How are you today? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Roseanne, I was on 10 mg but upped it to 20 last Friday as 10 just wasn’t enough for me. The panic attacks did get worse to start with but now I’ve done four days on diazepam 2mg and it’s taken the edge off the anxiety. The doctor won’t allow me any more diazepam so I’m going to try and get through the next few days reducing the diazepam down so I’ll let u know how I get on. If you’re struggling with the 10 mg then I would up it now and just try to adjust to the 20 mg, I’m no doctor though but I have been on them before and once this settles down it does get easier, I’m just desperate to get back to that stage again. 
    • Posted

Me too Gemma!! The waiting stage is so hard what with all its ups and downs. 

What symptoms are you still having from your anxiety?

It feels all encompassing when we are in it, like we will never be okay again. Is such a liar. Because we will. I just can’t say when. How are you doing this evening? Xx  

• Posted

I'm trying to occupy myself today to block out the anxiety from getting to me. It's hard but I'm better than I was on Monday. I'm worrying about the diazepam running out and trying to get by on propranolol until the citalopram settles in. I just want to b normal again x

• Posted

Me too Gemma, I was on it for 14 years then kept forgetting to take it only remembering on weekends. Starting it again has been so hard I just want to feel back to my old self

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.