Anxiety and comfort zones

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone else feel like they panick about leaving there comfort zone? I find it hard to feel chilled out in certain places. Only at my boyfriends I feel chilled out.. Not even at home. I also hate walking places incase I get anxious and I'm too far from my comfort zone ? It's hard when I used to enjoy going out with my friends and stuff and it makes me feel anxious just thinking about going into town and stuff! It's annoying, anyone got any advice? I want to be motivated and not over think everything!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Me too. I just find it helpful to keep telling myself, "This is stupid!" And make myself believe it.
  • Posted

I'm the same way. I have two comfort zones - my car and my home. When I'm having anxiety issues, going out of these two areas really messes with me. I get hyperaware of al my surroundings, I stand looking for exits in buildings and planning for the worst case scenario, and I start getting squrmish. 

You can get over this. You said that you used to enjoy going out with friends. Remember those times, the times when you were calm and not in a panic. Understand how good that felt, and remind yourself that the panic is just in your head. It cant hurt you, and you can beat it.

• Posted

If you need anything, feel free to send me a private message or reply on here. You're not alone.

All the best

• Posted

Thank you so much. Being only 18 years old it's effecting my relationship with my family and friends and my boyfriend. I wanna be out having fun but can't bring myself to do it just yet. i think I also need to learn how to love my own company again x
    • Posted

Honestly, it will affect some of your relationships, but this can stop once you get it under control. 
    • Posted

I just wanna be able to live in the moment and not worry about tomorrow or even the next hour.. I used to love walking home at 5am from a night out with the birds tweeting and stuff but I couldn't imagine myself doing it now. Also feeling lucid about my surroundings is horrible. Not to know I'm not alone x
    • Posted

Sorry I meant * nice to know im not alone
  • Posted

I think a lot of us with anxiety have our own form of comfort zones, mine were home, familiar places and the car, oh and the home of one friend.

When my anxiety worsened a few months ago I suddenly had no comfort zones at all, now I am at a point where I sometimes feel comfort at home though not entirely.

I am agoraphobic and feel awful every time I go out, I am not saying that is the case with you and I'm not saying it ever will be but it is important to tackle the issue now.

The reality is that you are no safer in your comfort zones than any other place, you are less anxious of course but anxiety is a liar, it sends out the danger message that causes anxiety when we leave our comfort zones even though we know no real danger exists.

Personally I am awaiting psycotherapy due to the severity of my anxiety state, you might want to think about some kind of therapy yourself, it could really help you and not only that could prevent possible future problems too.

I used to force myself out of my comfort zones before things got so bad with my anxiety and it did help for a long time, I would prepare myself by visualising myself doing it peacefully and calmly before I went, I would remind myself that I must want it more than I feared it too.

Please don't be concerned that I am so bad now, that is a complication of something else I have going on in life and it doesn't mean you will ever get to this stage but do tackle it now, get that freedom back that you want, it's your life and you deserve to live it happily.

• Posted

I hope you feel better in yourself soon! And thank you for the advice. It's hard because some days I'm like come on Katie you can do this you used to be fine! But then other days I think what's even the point ?? I spend all my time worrying about being anxious it's so silly! I get afraid somerjmes that I won't have a comfort zone and then what will happen?! Therapy is somethin I'm gonna consider. But I can't work at the moment due to my anxiety. Can I get it free through the NHS do you know ??
    • Posted

Thank you, therapy can be invaluable and yes you  can get it through the NHS but there could be a bit of a wait depending on the demand in your area.

Some areas have a self referral service, your GP will know if this is available where you are, I was having online CBT that I self referred for and it only took about 2 weeks, it is faster if you self refer but then they said I was too severe for an online service so I have to go back through the route of the mental health team.

Some GP's will refer you and others will refer you to your local community mental health team first who will then assess your needs and decide which approach on therapy is best for you.

Most people needing support will be allocated a care co-ordinator who can refer you on for therapies and also offer support in the meantime.

Mine was/is not very helpful which is why I returned to my GP, nothing was happening and now my GP is  dealing with my referral but some care co-ordinators do an excellent job and will arrange therapy.

Explain everything to your GP, say that you feel you would benefit from some kind of therapy and see what their suggestion i from there x

• Posted

sounds like anxiety.  I know when I was suffering from severe panic attacks that I would find it hard to go places, even be comfortable at home.  What worked for me with the help of medications of course. Is "flooding" it is a term use to just stay in the fear, so you can prove to yourself how irrational the fear is.  I would consider talking to a counselor!
    • Posted

Thank you to both of you for getting back to me. It's just not nice I feel sort of disconnected from the world and somerjmes when I go outside I feel dizzy like I'm not really there ? Feel like im gonna go mad sometimes that's another thing that makes me anxious! I often feel guilty about sitting around at my boyfriends house whilst he's had at work and I always put myself down whenever I don't go out and do things xxn
    • Posted

I get the same thing, it sucks, but tell yourself that it's all in your head. 
    • Posted

I hit rock bottom first, then I forced myself out of my comfort zone, relied on my friends and family, and I eventually got there.
    • Posted

I have been there.  Are seeking counseling?  We need mental health professionals to help us with our thinking.  You seem to have depression that usually accompanies anxiety.  Try to find happiness in the simple things you do.  When you get up in the morning tell yourself "I am brave for just getting out of bed today!"  Do the same when you take a shower for the day, getting dressed.  When you do things around the house, washing dishes, etc.  Simple tasks give us that confidence that we have more control then we think.  Try being your bestfriend, and be nice to yourself, do good thing for yourself, and definitely talk kindly to yourself!
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice. It makes me feel guilty when I don't go out and everyone else is busy working, it's horrible ! I'll try some therapy see if that helps me x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.