Anxiety and Crohn's

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had Crohn's for 20 years.  I've also had anxiety problems all my life, at least as far back as I can remember and used to get right-side pain often as a child whenever I was really worried.  Did anyone else here have anxiety issues before having Crohn's?  

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth, yes I had anxiety problems before crohns and I still do I 'm on anti depressants.

• Posted

Hi Stephaney, thank you for sharing.  I hope this question makes sense - do you find that the anxiety causes you to struggle with making decisions about managing the Crohn's?  I've had a lot of trouble for a couple of years now with that, like I'm trying so hard to try to eat certain foods, get exercise, etc., that I'm making myself sick.

• Posted

Hi,

yes I have always suffered from anxiety.  The funny thing is when I am  really stressed my crohns is o.k.

• Posted

That's interesting.  I'm the opposite.  Do you think having anxiety first had anything to do with getting Crohn's?  Or not?

• Posted

Yes, I have had crohn's for 36 years and I have had anxiety issues for the past 15 years. My crohn's was in remission so I thought for 29 years. But unfortunately it's back.

• Posted

Hi, I've just joined the forum and noticed your post. Yes, I had anxiety before I was diagnosed with Crohn's 14 years ago. I was always a 'worrier' even when I was younger, and so was my brother who also had Crohn's (he died of Crohn's/steroids several years ago). I firmly believe stress, anxiety go hand in hand with Crohn's for a lot of Crohn's sufferers. I'm very tempted to try antidepressants but I feel like I might not be in control, if that makes any sense!confused

• Posted

Hi Paticia

i agree with you about the stress after all it makes sense.  We rush about making the meal and then whilst eating we are noting family reactions.  I respect your questioning the use of antidepressants it's so easy to just take a pill but what about the long term results. Before going down this road why not try attending a course in stress management.  It might not be like you imagine.  You don't have to tell your secrets to a room full of people.  You do have to work at it.  You could always try pills later.

chris

• Posted

Thanks for that Chris. You're quite right, it would be better to speak to somebody first. 

I had a panic attack one night where I woke up shaking uncontrollably. My son knew what it was but phoned the NHS helpline anyway to put my mind at rest, and they talked to me for a while which calmed me down. I saw the doc the next day and he gave me a cd and pamphlet on anxiety while I made up my mind about speaking to somebody. But I did so well with the deep breathing exercises and things that I didn't bother going to see anybody.

Once I get over this (major) flare though, I will speak to somebody because I've had enough of it now.

Cheersconfused

• Posted

I sufferered with Anxiety since I was about 14, but I never realised it till I was older. 

Since the age of 14 I have been skin picking but did not realise it was a skin picking disorder untill I was about 18!!. 

It was then, just after I turned 19 that I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. 

Since then my anxiety had got worse!

Hope this helps  xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.