Anxiety and depression affecting every part of my life

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered from depression off and on for many years. In the last few years I have started to suffer from anxiety too and it is affecting my performance at work, my children, my relationships with friends as I isolate myself. It is also having a detrimental affect on my relationship with my partner of 3 years which is causing me even more distress. We have just spent a disastrous weekend at his parents house, whom I have met a handful of times. I didn't create a very good impression of myself as I was so quiet. I felt so anxious while away that I became withdrawn and almost zoned out some of the time. There were lots of people coming and going, some I've met and some I haven't. The dynamics were changing all the time and I found it really hard to cope with. I've felt terrible since I came home and I'm desperate for some help to cope with the turmoil and self loathing going on in my mind all the time.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

After all these years of depression, and now anxiety, my first questions have to be...have you been to a doctor, what did they say, what was prescribed, and if not, why not.

You have come to the right place for help in coping, encouragement and people who care. We do need to know a bit of medical history to be of real benefit, Janice. Looking forward to hearing back from you.wink

• Posted

I had a very traumatic childhood which is where my anxiety came from I think but it's only in the last few years that it has been so awful. I've had counselling off and on over the years (I'm on a waiting list now) plus CBT a long time ago. I'm taking medication now and desperately hoping it will make a difference soon.

• Posted

It sounds like you are doing a good job of handling a tough situation. Some medications do take a little time to really kick in. I usually ask my pharmacist how long that time will be. It does help to know.

I picked up a new med yesterday and my first question was, how long until I see a difference. She told me right away. It will ba about three weeks, but compared to the symptoms that are going on, a three week wait for relief...i can handle.

My sister found an anxiety support group that has helped her tremendously. Why not check for one. Big hugs, Honey.

• Posted

If your partner is getting annoyed with you whilst you are going thru all this thats not a good sign. It takes a compassionate and patient person to deal with all this. You can try therapy, meds, cbt and hopefully it will become manageable. It can ruin relationships. Its difficult to deal with yourself let  alone  another  person. Didnt your partner know about all this? You might needs medicines to help you thru this. Your regular doctor can prescribe them as can a psychiatrist.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. My partner didn't get annoyed with me but he thought that I should have been able to distract myself from how I was feeling but going for a walk or something. I'm currently taking 20mg of citalopram and propranolol when I need it.

• Posted

sounds like you are a bit socially anxious with your friends to add to the depression
    • Posted

It can happen with friends, family, work colleagues or with people I don't know. I'm very sensitive to the atmosphere and I seem to be drawn to people who are also suffering with mental health problems. I suppose because I feel an ifinity with them. A bad or tense atmosphere really affects me and makes me retreat into my shell.

• Posted

try and have some friends who are normal too because that may even the balance for you a bit.  I think you do already.  How can you desensitise yourself a bit so you can go on living a better life?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.