anxiety and epilepsy

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband was recently diagnosed with epilepsy. He also has sleep apnea and when he does not wear his cpap machine he is not getting enough oxygen to the brain. He is currently taking keppra and doing well. He has always suffered greatly from anxiety. He just started taking Pristiq to help with his anxiety. It's working okay. I think he may look for something else though. Does anyone else struggle with this? Has any anti-anxiety med helped? He describes it as a racing feeling in his chest at all times and pop up worry thoughts. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi bonniedel,

pits very worrying having Epilepsy..........my daughter 15 suffers (diagnosed with this firstly with PETE- MAL......photo sensitive......which in April last year had her first seizure).....,,,,,

we went through a lot, her consultant is brilliant and really understanding.

im sorry I have no advise for you and your husband just that I know how worrying it can be.

every little creak upstairs when our daughter is in her room we are up there like a shot ( thinking the worse ie seizure !!!!!!!)

she too is taking Keppra and so far ok on it!!!!!!.

good luck..x

• Posted

Hi Bonnie ,

I had epilepsy when I reached puberty now way way old lol

They put us on all types of drugs I had one/epanutin which made my teeth get gappy ie shrunk gums, now they have taken me off them !!  I know there is a man on Behind the gray who had a bleed and was tested for that but I personally cannot give you much help but I wish your hubby all the best and you as it is scary having them and not nice for family to see xx Good luck to you both xx

• Posted

I have epilepsy and general anxiety disorder. I've suffered anxiety all my life but after having a few seizures in my teens and nothing for six years I felt the epilepsy was over and my anxiety subsided. After having another fit last year my anxiety came back with a vengeance and I would describe it just like your husband, I've got a constant feeling in my chest that feels like a rushing. I have random thoughts pop into my head that make my stomach churn, this will often turn into a panic attack.

I personally don't take medication, that's part of my anxiety. Plus certain SSRIs can reduce the seizure threshold and I don't like that risk. I try to practice mindful meditation, deep breathing exercises and have tried therapy too. It does help; it's no cure but it works over time. Even with meds your husband needs to realise that it's about getting to the root cause of the anxiety and accepting that it's only anxiety and letting it go, once he trains his brain to realise there is no threat the anxiety will dissipate.

• Posted

Hello bonnie i have servere epilepsy i have fits everyday of the week sometimes 4.5 fits perday been involved in so many accidents due to my fits also i have servere anxioty where i feel like im going to die like the world is about to come to a stand still such a horrible feeling my heart races also i feel like someone had there hands gripped so tight around my neck and strangling me all the time i try to take my mind off it like i will go on my phone and start ordering things off amazon dunno if uve heard of it but i love the site i order things especially this time of year for xmas i love it ordering for the kids and you might think this sounds silly but it does actually work it takes my mind off it all but then when i stop and try to settle its back again its horrible i honestly do feel for your husband feel so sorry for him if he trys to take his mind off it does help for a while i hope he gets the help and suppport he needs such a horrible feeling and no1 will ever understand it if they dont go threw it themselves wish u the best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.