Anxiety and Globus Sensation, not sure what else to

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

Last August I had some health problems, fleeting rashes and burning sensations. I got really anxious about them. They went away but I then got a funny feeling in my throat. It felt like I had something stuck but I knew there was nothing there.

For months I went backwards and forwards to my GP. I was referred to an ENT. I had blood tests, an ultrasound on my neck, an MRI and a nasal scope. All showed normal functions. I had some irritation in my throat and I used acid reflux tablets for 4 weeks. I was a mess with anxiety throughtout all this, not eating, upset tummy, not sleeping, I lost so much weight. Nothing seemed to work.

I was still feeling awful so I started taking Sertraline. It helped but gave me constant upset tummy. After 7 weeks I stopped taking it. Tummy cleared up straight away.

So now I'm back to square one I feel. My throat feels horrible, I have no idea if it's an anxiety problem or it's silent reflux? I have a burning feeling in my tummy and chest at times, could be reflux issues or anxiety? I really have no idea.

I'm scared to try another anti anxiety med as I felt so ill with Sertraline. I know I need to do something though! I just feel so scared. I just wish my throat didn't feel this way! I've made another appointment with the ENT in the hope she might be able to help, i'm not sure what else I can do!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have had this sensation. I also suffer from gerd. Anxiety does make it worse. You should really try to get an appointment with gastro doc since it seems to be stomach issues not ent. A warm wash cloth around throat helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I have an ENT appointment in 2 weeks and i'll ask if she can refer me on or if i need my GP to do it. It's a long process to get the appointments but hopefully i can make some progress. My GP thinks it's all anxiety however i get it even when i'm not anxious!? Makes no sense. I used esomeprazole for 4 weeks everyday but there was little improvement. So that's why GP said it's not stomach related. ENT said she thinks I had some reflux and some muscle tension. I seem to have it all the time whether i take esomeprazole or not? I feel like my body has gone crazy lol

• Posted

Hi Emily. I had this problem before too with my throat but the doctors say my throat is fine. I keep feeling like my throat is closing up more and more. Honestly, it's scary and I feel like I might die. My breathing also gets weird too while thinking about it so hard where I start gasping for my air very quickly and I body shake so much. I hope you feel better, you're not alone. HopeHo

• Posted

Sorry, I apologize. Autocorrect didn't delete the word at the very end.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, so sorry you're going through similar troubles! It's the worst feeling isn't! I have another appointment with ENT in 2 weeks. I've tried antihistamine and antacid meds. Sometimes these have worked, nothing conclusive though. Have you tried breathing exercises? I've found them to be relaxing but sadly nothing completely solves the problem. It just goes on and on! Hopefully we will both feel better soon!

• Posted

No problem Emily! Just know this, you're definitely not alone. It's so scary to deal with anxiety, especially at night since I keep constantly thinking if I will be alive for the next day. But it has been a week so I have been fine sleeping. But waking up and repeating the cycle is stressful. I keep waking up to new symptoms happening . My throat clicks a lot now and I feel like there is something blocking my airway passage in the center of my throat and sometimes it makes me feel like choking or gagging. And it's annoying. I hope you take very good care! I'm trying out mediation for now on and see how well it goes for me after trying one out for a week, for about 15 -30 minutes a day. And thank you so much for caring.

• Posted

When I have anxiety attacks / panic episodes - the first thing I notice is the inability to swallow. Like my throat stopped working. May be what you're experiencing. It's my anxiety manifesting in a new form.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.