Anxiety and high blood pressure

Posted , 40 users are following.

Hi I was wondering how may people have high blood pressure with anxiety. When I'm relaxed my bp is normally 130/78. If I'm anxious it can easily go up to 180/90 it's pretty scary! If I can relax it takes about 2 mins to go back to around 140/80.

With my anxiety this worries me the most I'm on BP medication which keeps it check most of the time with some awful side effects.

I've had all the tests done over the years which have all been good. My GP assures me my anxiety does this to me and it's nothing to worry about. Unfortunately when all this started 5 years ago I googled high BP and over 180 is an hypertensive crisis and you should immediately go to the hospital.

When I had my first panic attack 5 years ago which started this madness my BP was 230/110/150 it was the worst day of my life.

Over the years my anxiety has sometimes just vanished and at one stage went for about 8 months. Lately it has come back. I can handle everything about it the pain/ palpitations dizziness feeling awful. Buts it the high blood pressure that worries me. I had a complete medical as recent as 3 weeks ago which was fine for my age 57.

Do other people have Blood pressure issues with their anxiety?

4 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The less blood pressure medicine you take the less the side effects so if you can lower your blood pressure and take less medicine you'll be better off. Try a low salt diet and plant based Mediterranean diet

• Posted

I have very much increased Bp with my anxiety . When I'm at the doctors office it goes up immediately and the doc always has to recheck it before I leave. When I'm not anxious or at home it stays 120-130s / 70-80.... I am on a Bp med as well to "level it out" Ughhh I was quite obsessed with my Bp for a while which didn't help my anxiety at all!

I'm not familiar with side effects of Bp meds 😳

• Edited

Learn mindful breathing. The best thing id taught myself ever. I learned it off utube  myself. Must of found a great tutorial because i really followed it as the guy taught it, practiced it without questioning it  worked. It worked and I was thrilled, i use  it a lot now,  who knew it could be so simple.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa I do use that . it's great isn't it. I use an app on my phone I try and use it every day it really helps. When I'm out and I feel my anxiety rising I do the breathing even on a bus or riding my motorcycle.

• Posted

There’s a breathing phone app as well that I use with bp spikes and it works pretty good.
  • Posted

I've been a bit concerned about this. I had a sinus infection and went to the doctors, I mentioned I was feeling a bit dizzy with it which can normally happen with ENT problems. She decided to check my BP just in case and I freaked out, I was already anxious as I have severe medical phobia. She checked it and it was 160/90, she mentioned about coming back to check it. I then told her about my anxiety and how I've had numerous tests that have come back fine. She seemed happy with that and off I went. Since then it's been playing in my mind constantly. There is something called White Coat Syndrome, basically the anxiety surrounding a doctors visit caused your BP to jump.

• Posted

Hi yeah I definitely get crazy Bp readings in a medical setting. My dr knows this and let's me bring my readings from home. Apparently it's very common. Unfortunately I can still get nervous taking my readings at home as I'm always wondering what my reading will be. If I'm nice and relaxed I always getting around 130/74 if I'm stressed I easily get readings of 150 or above. I'm restricting my readings now to twice a day once in morning and once at night. Just reading peoples stories reveals how horrible dealing with anxiety is. None of my friends or family has it and they can't possibly understand how it affects us.

My main worry with it is definitely what it does to my bp.

• Posted

Yes! My symptoms are identical to yours. I am familiar with the physical pain of anxiety and during a panic attack my blood pressure gets terrifyingly high. One time 170/110. Most people don't realize what true panic attacks really are.  I too have been through recent periods of low anxiety and was doing regular cardio at the time too and bp was normal then. I am sadly back to scary bp and headaches.  I hope you have gotten yours under control. I will be seeing my doc asap next week as I just had a scary reading tonight.  I will also be starting regular cardio as I know this is crucial too. I'm only 38 and these symptoms started a few years ago. 

• Posted

I am 26 and went to the ER last week for a panic attack so bad I wasn't even sure it was a panic attack. (It was lol) I forget what my blood pressure was but the ER doctor was extremely concerned and  I had to make an appointment with my doctor to follow up on it. Was still extremely high when I went today to the doctor who recommended high blood pressure medication but I'm not sure what I want to do.

• Posted

I have 3 open heart surgerys and have high blood pressure an mine gets high like that man just chill out close your eyes think your happy place breath trough your nose and out your mouth I'm only 16 years old I have severe anxiety, panic disorder and my heart beats fast all the time just try what I said good luck you will be fine!! 🙏 

• Edited

Absolutely I'm a US Marine after coming back from Desert Storm I was heavy artillery and 50, Cal machine gunner my life and health  has been a living hell.  I get anxious and  anxiety and panic attacks my blood pressure freaks out  hope you're doing better I wish I was

• Edited

During these episodes, does anyone else ever feel like a whole lot of their body is vibrating. Sometimes also seen as a slight shaking of the hands, but most often nothing showing on the outside, just felt on the inside.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, I had body vibrations and full body twitching from extreme anxiety a few years ago.. it lasted quite a while and many tests later found to be stress and anxiety. I had lost a good friend and then this all started so it was actually related Try n manage it cuz It can do awful things to us if we let it!
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing this. Have started doing tai chi every morning and sometimes at night too, really seems to be helping.
    • Posted

Dr. told me once it’s a stress enzyme or chemical released in your body during anxiety /panic attacks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.