Anxiety and Insomnia.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know that insomnia can play a big part of causing anxiety and panic attacks etc. I was wondering if there's anyone on here with the same problem? What are you symptoms? How do you cope with it? Thanks 😊Xx

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I do not suffer too badly with insomnia but had a vey bad bout towards the end of last year. It's a catch 22... You are anxios, you can't sleep... You get more anxious, you don't sleep well.... Round and round in circles untilyou find a way to brek the habit. My therapist insisted i stop even the briefest naps in the day and it helped. My sleep pattern has still not returned to normal for me yet but its bearable
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply smile

I find it worse when I come home from work at night, I can't switch off. I got a little fatigue at the moment as well. It sucks doesn't it? Xx

• Posted

It is awful yes! I have always said i sleep like a baby and nothing will wake me.... I now wake up at the slightest noise and then take ages to get back to sleep, sometimes up to 3 hours but luckily not too often... I am 46 years old and finally understand how anxiety affects me and what i can do to help. For me, it's meditation and relaxation, medication, fresh air and walking, support from parents, a part time job i love and a good diet. If i have a rubbish nights sleep i just tell myself my body will catch up the next night and somehow it does... Since i stopped panicking over it it has improved
    • Posted

Ive just replied to Arya 287 but saw your message.  I'm 42 and feel the same, that it has taken a long time to understand what i need to do to deal with my anxiety but ive finally got here.  It may happen again but i feel more equipped to deal with it.  To feel as if you are going mad through lack of sleep is terrifying. I totally agree with relaxation, fresh air, loving something and for me routine.  And not to panic... thank you for your post and knowing someone else is going through the same but thankfully might have turned a corner.... Best Wishes xx
    • Posted

Thank you both so much for replying, its nice to know I'm not alone. Feel like I've been going mad. I definitely need to get my routine back into action, as soon as I do that hopefully everything will fall back into place, I know it won't happen over night though. 😊
    • Posted

Thats what this place is best for... There is always someone who understands what you are going through and can share their tips with you xx
    • Posted

thank you for your post also... We have to support each other because anxiety is an awful affliction but it is not life threatening and there is alot we can do to take back control. I wish i knew that years ago
    • Posted

I agree Tracie, it can be very crippling sometimes, its nice to talk to people who understand, there's many people out there that don't, can make you feel quite lonely. Xxx
  • Posted

Hi.  I seem to be thankfully going through a good period of dare i say it recovery??  However, insomnia was a big problem in my most recent episode of anxiety.  I had a few nights of not sleeping so well (seemed to sneek up on me) and then literally 36 hours of no sleep.  Felt like i was going mad, lost a tremendous amoutn of weight as couldn't eat and of course the fear of not sleeping took over.  I realised that my whole body was tense and virtually shaking so took steps to reduce stress - didnt work for a while, asked my sons father to look after him, tried to keep to a bedtime routine of bath/no stress/cammomile tea/ reading/used sleep app (this is very helpful but need to perservere).  Daily walks or just fresh air. I found that routine really helped.  I also now take L-Theanine and Lemon Balm capsules - i believe they help me. Sleep is better but still not how it was, i wake very early but for me to have a block of sleep for more than 4 hours is a bonus and i can function.  It will get better.  It is torture i hope you find a way to get though it.  Good Luck. xx
  • Posted

Hi I have had anxiety for many years! I have awful night time worries as well! I have to cat nap each day esp at the moment as I am in recovery from a hip replacement! Also I am a carer for my disabled husband! I have reflexology twice a month! Or a massage aromatherapy! Regards Amanda
    • Posted

So sorry to hear Amanda. I hope you feel better soon. You can't sleep but then end up worrying about the fact you can't sleep then, can't win! Lol! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.