Anxiety and irrational thoughts

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I'm just wondering if anyone else has anxiety similiar to me. I've always been a worried person, but ever since last summer when I was prescribed amitriptyline for a severe skin condition, I know that is used for depression as well, it gave me really bad health anxiety, I'm off the tablets now and have been for a good few months but still have really bad anxiety. it  started worrying about health, but now it seems to have progressed to me having a random thought that other people would just pass of as nothing, but I just seem to constantly worry about it until another worry comes along and then I'll worry about that. I recently had a random thought that what if I became a lesbian one day, I'm straight and in a long term relationship with my boyfriend, so i was overthinking that for months. I've been watching the x files and like CSI programs and I was thinking how horrible people who kill are, and then I started worrying that I might become a murderer, which I'm clearly not, I'd never hurt anyone or anything ever, but the thought has made me feel so sick and it's horrible, I can t stop worrying about it. I tell myself it was just a random thought due to watching these programs but I still can't stop the overthinking. Are what I'm experiencing irrational thoughts? I'm currently having counselling, and have a session later today so I am going to mention this new worry as well

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I was abit worried about mentioning the second worry, i just want to clear up that I don't want to hurt anyone, it's just the worry that I don't know maybe I might turn into one randomly one day, which I know doesn't happen, I think it maybe due to the fear of people like that, so I fear I may turn like that or something.msorry if this doesn't make sense it's hard to understand why we worry sometimes 
  • Posted

It sounds a bit like Pure O OCD, when you're having intrusive thoughts.
    • Posted

Can you tell me abit more about it, I haven't heard about that before
    • Posted

It could be but diagnosing other people on here is not helpful.  Especially people with anxiety.  Our minds are already "what if-ing" And will take what people have to say and comment, and their obssessive anxiety will run with it. 
    • Posted

I have just had a look at what it is, and it does sound a lot like what I'm experiencing, I'm not going to say it is, I'll ask my counsellor what she thinks and talk it through with her. But when I read about it, it caused me to actually cry as it sounded so similiar to what's going through my head, but I will get a second opinion 
  • Posted

Have you consulted your doctor about your side effects?
    • Posted

Yeah I did and he just brushed me off like it was no big deal, I seemed out the counselling myself when it got really bad 
  • Posted

Hi jessicat.

Ive had same thoughts. Horrible. I was diagnosed with ocd...pure O. I was also on amitriptyline last year. Didmt do anything for me. I hated it!

Im waiting for cbt which is meant to be good for ocd. Only been waiting on the nhs for 11 months!

If ever you want to chat youre welcome to pm me

Aliosn x

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying, yeah I've had a look at some information on pure O and it sounds very similiar to what is going on with me. Oh no that's horrendous to be waiting that long for it, thanks I'll pm you now 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.